Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

"Maybe this virus continues on for years"?  Guess that rules out optimism. Nothing has helped me through several life/death situations than Optimism. I don't how some can live a happy life looking, either presently or future, negatively.

As far as masks? Expressed my opinion in several other posts. "To each be their own".

hckynut 🏒

@hckynut   I believe in science...not miracles.  Truth over fiction. If optimism floats your boat....I am all for that.  Each of us has our way of dealing with things.  Waiting for a miracle is fine....but, that most likely will disappoint.  And may be a detriment to getting through this period in time ....which I see as YEARS.....not months.  

Respected Contributor

I can understand workers working in empty room or outdoors without mask.  However, coming to door, meeting customers, etc. They need to wear mask for my benefit.  Guess as consumers we should call and ask before meet to see what their procedures are.  If acceptable, give them business.  If not respecting me as client,  move on.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I read your response and it didn't address my comment. Waiting for a miracle/truth over fiction/science! I don't remember using any of those words in my post, much less expressing what I do or do not believe.

And i guess the word "miracle", in the context in which it was used, is somehow a detriment to the present and "getting through this period of time". You lost me there because I have no idea what that even means.

I get that you are looking at "years" from now, and I am not. My outlook on life is based more on the present, and taking it one day at a time. Not the past or the future.

What might happen, no amount of science or belief in, can or will predict the future. Speculate/guess/wonder?  Yep! 

Again: "To each be their own".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

So far the only workman that have been at my house during this time, were putting up a fence, so no they were not wearing masks since they were outside, and when we spoke to them, we kept a social distance of 6ft.

The AC technican that came to service our AC, wore a mask as well as gloves, I asked this before I made my appointment!

The only reason he was wearing gloves was so he didn't get his hands dirty.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

I’m pretty OK with ‘each to his own’ unless we’re sharing air space, or in my home, on my land, or I’m paying for someone’s service.

Then I have input.

Best to you and yours.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

if i have someone working in my home or outside of my home i do not ask them to wear a mask. i have no plans to get up close to them at all. i dont find it disrespectful. if you want them to wear a mask, then just ask........

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

So many people that come to my home recently to do repair work etc, are not coming wearing a face mask. 

I feel it is out of respect for me... and being a customer ... that you come wearing a mask.  I wear one for THEM.  

We had a fellow out to repair drywall in the garage from a leak we had in the ceiling ... he came out the first time to give us a quote... NO MASK. My husband came out of the house wearing a mask and handed him a mask.... guess he got the idea...  next visit to do the work he was wearing a mask....

I had a fellow come out to quote me for a new gate on my fence a couple of weeks ago.... nice young fellow... NO MASK. As he was leaving, I told him that he needs to wear a mask when  giving people quotes on work to be done. He seemed surprised that I told him that...  like it was a new idea for him....and that he would talk to his boss about getting one....why would his boss not have him wearing a mask when giving quotes and seeing customers face to face??? ESPECIALLY NOW?

Today, two fellows came out to put the gate in...      I step out of the house  with a mask on... they have NO MASKS... at this point I give up... can not keep giving masks away as I do not have a bunch of them.... stood as far as I could from them to discuss what they would be doing.... Seems like a simple thing to just wear a mask when you are talking to the customer... then go ahead and take it off if you wish when working.

Business need to  have employees have masks to wear when talking to the customer OUT OF RESPECT 

My mom has been having different workers come to the house also. She discusses the precautions these companies are taking when entering her house on the phone prior to the appointment. This way no one comes to her home without a mask and gloves. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @Drythe 

In one of my posts, not sure it is in this thread, I wrote about my non-smoking multi-year battle with big business and local government. What you stated about "your land and home", I did that with smoking back in the late '60's. Thus we agree on that.

As far as sharing air space? That is a much more complex issue, thus opinions are more likely to vary from person to person. With tobacco smoke, it is visible to anyone with sight, and with that one's air space is factually known to both,  or more, involved.

I have seen and heard so many different opinions by "expert" that it should be 6'/10'/12'/30', that I discount all of it as "guessing ". Even seen, so called, molecular studies backing up different guesses.

As I mentioned in, yes some other post. If a person(s) are wearing a mask are they protected? If so, why are they concerned about those that choose not to wear one?  I've gotten replies but none of them answers my question directly. One even when back to "you only care about yourself".

My car/my home/my property, my rules. Outdoor air belongs to everyone, there to me is no quantifiable "my space/ your space". If so, I have yet to see it spelled out in exact and specific terms.

The latest studies I have seen and heard and which I agree! The primary way this and any other virus is spread is through direct human contact, and I have no plans to touch anyone but my wife.

I have been saying the same things I am saying now, long before this Wuhan Virus was around. Life itself is a risk and some are willing to take more of them than others.

But for anyone that decides to say and believe they know my thoughts? As Judge Judy likes to say: "You cannot know the operation of another's mind or brain". "You are killing others/you only care about yourself/you are a ×*=**%"?  Do I really care, no I do not.

Take good care and till next time, I am

hckynut(john) 🏒

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

No one sets foot in my house without a mask! My  husband just returned home after spending just shy of two months in ether the hospital or rehab facility. I am also high risk because of both my age and an auto-immune disease. 

I have a sanitation station set up in my foyer containing masks, gloves, and hand sanitizers.  Complying is not negotiable!  No exceptions! Deliveries are all porch deliveries.  I also have very high-quality air cleaners in every room.  All non-porous surfaces are wiped down at least once daily.

This is a deadly and highly communicable virus, and I am taking no chances.  I do not expect anyone working outside the house to observe these safeguards.  But the minute they step inside the house is a different matter.

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm lucky as I haven't needed anyone to come inside my home for work since this all began ....and I don't plan on having anyone come inside unless it's a real emergency.  The only workers coming onto my property are the lawn guys and of course they aren't wearing masks.

I have also read that while it is a good thing to wear masks when close to someone, just being outside and getting sunshine helps to fight against the virus.

Keeping one's vitamin D levels up helps too.  I have read studies that claim those who have low D levels were the ones who were more likely to get deathly ill.