Honored Contributor

I understand your concern.  I think we do have the final word on what does occur in our own homes.  If you want people to wear a mask upon entering, then they should comply.  Outside the house, I don't think we can control that. From what we hear on t.v. we kind of take for granted that all businesses will wear a mask when dealing with the public.  But unfortunately, we find this doesn't always happen.  I think when we do have need for service at our homes, we will need to find out when we call whether they adhere to wearing of masks and inform them that we have to have an employee wearing one when they come in our homes.  Working outside --- that's another story.  If workers want to work outside closely together and not wear them, then that's on them!  I wouldn't keep giving out masks either as they do get expensive.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I keep some disposable masks on hand and ask repair people to wear one if they don't have one with them.  

An electrician didn't have one on when I answered the door so I asked him if he'd wear one.  He said he had one and would put it on before coming in the house. I'm having my annual air conditioner checkup on Monday and will do the same if he doesn't have one.  

I had a a tree stump ground out the other day and didn't ask the two guys to wear masks since they were outside and I stayed far away from them.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I guess I'm lucky as I haven't needed anyone to come inside my home for work since this all began ....and I don't plan on having anyone come inside unless it's a real emergency.  The only workers coming onto my property are the lawn guys and of course they aren't wearing masks.

I have also read that while it is a good thing to wear masks when close to someone, just being outside and getting sunshine helps to fight against the virus.

Keeping one's vitamin D levels up helps too.  I have read studies that claim those who have low D levels were the ones who were more likely to get deathly ill.

@haddon9, yes, we're not having any work done inside our house either. Outside? No problem.

I don't think that there is any credibility, though, in the idea that sunshine and/or Vit D has any effect on the virus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I guess I'm lucky as I haven't needed anyone to come inside my home for work since this all began ....and I don't plan on having anyone come inside unless it's a real emergency.  The only workers coming onto my property are the lawn guys and of course they aren't wearing masks.

I have also read that while it is a good thing to wear masks when close to someone, just being outside and getting sunshine helps to fight against the virus.

Keeping one's vitamin D levels up helps too.  I have read studies that claim those who have low D levels were the ones who were more likely to get deathly ill.

@haddon9, yes, we're not having any work done inside our house either. Outside? No problem.

I don't think that there is any credibility, though, in the idea that sunshine and/or Vit D has any effect on the virus.

Actually Vit D is important for a persons immune system.  Those with low levels of Vit D will have a harder time if exposed to the virus due to a weaker immune system..  The virus is also killed on surfaces when exposed to direct sunlight.  There are even some studies that indicate that the virus is killed in the air when in direct sunlight.  Some interesting studies and findings taking place.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Believe as you wish however I have read that it helps to keep one's Vitmin D levels up and I plan on doing that. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Believe as you wish however I have read that it helps to keep one's Vitmin D levels up and I plan on doing that. 

@haddon9, of course you should do what makes you more comfortable.

What I have seen is a study that showed that a severe dificiency may play a role in Covid mortality rates.

But here's a caution from the Cleveland Clinic:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-vitamin-d-prevent-covid-19/

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 It says that right now it's "inconclusive" yet I have read other studies that say it helps.  I realize that studies are not always black & white as one would think and can often be slanted towards the direction those who create the study want it to go. 

As a result I'm trying my best to get plenty of sunshine (which was difficult to do when the weather was cold here) and adding supplements.  

I don't expect it to be a cure but it's another step to help me to help myself and family rather than feeling totally helpless besides only staying at home social distancing. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes Vitamin D is good for people. And sunshine helps kill the virus on surfaces because it speeds up destroying the fat layer that is around the virus. When you're washing your hands that's to kill that fat layer.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 It says that right now it's "inconclusive" yet I have read other studies that say it helps.  I realize that studies are not always black & white as one would think and can often be slanted towards the direction those who create the study want it to go. 

As a result I'm trying my best to get plenty of sunshine (which was difficult to do when the weather was cold here) and adding supplements.  

I don't expect it to be a cure but it's another step to help me to help myself and family rather than feeling totally helpless besides only staying at home social distancing. 

Anything you can do to boost your immune system is a plus in fighting the virus, 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

At one time my Vit.D level was barely measurable. Fortunately it was when I was already in the hospital. I started with a massive dose, I think for a week. Then reduced it down to 2000IU twice a day.

Still taking that same dose and see no reason to stop. Doubt that will cause me to OD, and I too have heard it helps with the Wuhan.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)