Respected Contributor

Re: Students Protest Prom Dress Code

@FuzzyFacewrote:

Isobel, I disagree with part of what you said.

Sexy clothing on YOUNG girls is inappropriate. However, that doesn't give ANYONE the right to touch them against their will. Sexy or revealing clothes give a message: "Here it is!"  It DOESN'T say, "Come get it!"

It's as much the fault of the parents who don't teach their children--boys and girls--the difference.

I agree that women and men have the right to wear just about anything they want but they need to use common sense. A man or woman has the RIGHT to wear torn jeans and a funky shirt to a job interview but they also have to understand that there will be consequences; i.e., no job offer.

I actually said "suggesting interest in intimate activity" which is not necessarily "touching" - which I agree no one has the right to do.  However, we are at a point where even remarking about someone's - "here it is" clothing is villified.  And heaven help the school or work official who tells a girl or woman to go home and change.

Honored Contributor

Re: Students Protest Prom Dress Code

@Love my grandkidswrote:

I'm all for prom dress codes. The way some parents allow their daughters to dress is outrageous. High school girls have no business showing lots of cleavage or dresses so short that you're afraid to look at them as you might see their "nether regions."

And I've noticed that many girls who have large breasts really like to show them off in prom dresses.

What's wrong with a little modesty? I'm not talking about high collars and long sleeves but good grief. Show some good taste. Who wants their daughter to look like a skank? And why do some girls want to dress like that?

I'm so glad my DIL and her daughters don't dress like that!

@Love my grandkids

Modesty???     I'm willing to bet that most young girls have never even heard the word "modesty' ..... so what can be expected of them?   

I still think it goes back to bad parenting.  If the parents were doing their job at home, the schools wouldn't need to have dress codes in the first place!