Honored Contributor

Re: Students Protest Prom Dress Code

I seem to recall my mother having this same conversation with my sister when I was little. It was around 1970 and my sister was going to the high school prom in a very short dress. I expect some of the posters who are complaining about the way young people dress today had the same argument with their own parents when they were in high school. LOL. How quickly we forget.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabewrote:
I seem to recall my mother having this same conversation with my sister when I was little. It was around 1970 and my sister was going to the high school prom in a very short dress. I expect some of the posters who are complaining about the way young people dress today had the same argument with their own parents when they were in high school. LOL. How quickly we forget.

My father was extremely strict and very conservative.  A couple of times he saw me on the street and made me get in the car and drove me home to change my clothing. I wasn’t dressed bad or inappropriate,  it was just that I was busty.  

I wasn’t allowed to wear the same clothing as my smaller chested friends.  I didn’t like it at all, but there was no back talk..he wouldn’t listen and I would just get grounded.

in my senior year, I went shopping alone and chose a backless prom dress.  It was 100% backless to my waist.  The front was not low cut at all ( no cleavage)  and it was modest on the sides, so there was no spillage.  It buttoned at the back of my neck and I had a safety pin there, just in case.

i thought maybe i’d have to return it, but he was okay with it. I guess my bare back wasn’t considered sexy.  LOL.  My catholic school never said a word about it either.  I wore my hair down and the button at the back neck was hidden under my hair.  A few students came over and looked to see if I was topless after seeing me from the back. It did look like I was only wearing a skirt and nothing else.

i guess I was a rebel back in the day.  

Honored Contributor

I was so glad to get to college. No more skirt length fights, and I could wear jeans to class. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@HouseMouse,

Based on your post, I have no idea what a dress code migjt be.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I worked with a woman whose daughter had very large breasts. She allowed that young girl to wear a prom dress that was open to the waist in the front and completely backless.She was really busting out of that dress. When Mom brought pictures to work everyone was agast.I'm not kidding or exaggerating - all that was covered were her nipples. She was told she had to cover up or leave the prom so she wore her date's jacket all evening, and the Mom was very upset they did this to her, saying it wasn't fair to put attention on her like that.

Esteemed Contributor

Lest we forget, each generation defines itself and shrugs off the conventions of the past generation.

Respected Contributor

@151949  Wow, the mother was upset that her daughter was getting attention.  It seems like that is exactly what the mother was looking for.....for her daughter to be the center of attention in her skimpy dress.

Sadly for the daughter that her mother was setting a poor example of "class", as well as sorely lacking in parental supervision and the lesson of how you want others to see and respect you later in life.  Just because you have it, doesn't mean you need to show it all to the world.

If her daughter ends up dancing on a pole to draw attention to herself, the mother only has herself to blame.   

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@GCR18wrote:

The article leaves a lot of questions.  It sounds like the students went to the media versus the school board or administration.  It feels like they were looking for their 15 minutes of fame.  I bet they could find affordable dresses that don't have cleavage or thighs showing.  

I've been a broken record about this for the past month. 

The younger generation has social media down to a tee.  If they don't like something or someone, they trend it for media attention and then embarrass the adults or leaders into backing down and giving them what they want. 

It's a vitual temper tantrum and they do it exquisitely.  It's a shame most companies and administration don't have the guts yet to ride out the "bad" publicity and hold firm to "our company, our event, our rules, etc.  Move along for other entertainment, other service, etc....

@Laura14  Yes they think whatever they want should be bowed to simply because it’s what they want. Teachers strike never mind nobody else in the state hasn’t had a raise in ten years either and the state is broke. People want a perfect world right now no matter that it might not be possible to achieve. I just don’t get it. You can’t make a lot of things happen by holding your breath

or can you?

Honored Contributor

I don't care if schools have dress codes.  Whether or not they impose a code on social functions depends on the code.  Some schools have ridiulously strict codes and others are more reasonable.  As long as kids are covered, I don't care.  

Honored Contributor

You never hear that word, modesty anymore.  Sometimes I wonder if it is still in the dictionary. 

Young girls learn early that their bodies can attract attention. Many like to flaunt what they consider to be their best assets. They are young and tend to live by their feelings. They are somewhere between young girls and womanhood and can be quite dramatic. If parents and schools aren't adult enough to know that then they are no smarter than the kids.