Honored Contributor

Question...wall color and carpet

My friend just purchased a new house...they are painting all the walls in a grey/neutral color (open concept)  When it comes to picking out carpet, is the general 'rule' to coordinate the carpet with the wall color?  I know there are no rules today...  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question...wall color and carpet

@Mom2Dogs , do you mean wall to wall carpet?

In my mind, the best way to do this is to take a paint sample to the carpet store and talk to the experts.  I would be looking for a store with a good selection and price range to choose from.  Take photos of the space with you.

When we built our home, I lived in these places.  Some of them have people with a real flair for mixing and matching.  I thought I had a pretty good idea what I wanted.  In the end, I found a great sales person with a great flair for color and she helped me make choices that, 15 years later, I still love.

Good luck to your friend.  LM

Honored Contributor

If they are going with a neutral color, anything would probably go. 

I know my mom is a little Martha Stewart and she does light walls with a darker carpet or floor covering. 

Or, for walls with a lot of color, a light neutral carpet or floor covering.  

In my apartment where I live, she did very light gray almost white walls and baseboards with floors that are a light but grayer wood with tan, cream and a hint of black throughout.

Honored Contributor

No carpeting ANYWHERE in our home. We think carpeting is dirty.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  @Laura14   I found an article for her to read...3 coordinating colors in the same family of colors on the largest surfaces...walls, floors and window treatments.  So when I looked around my family room, that is exactly what I did, just didn't know it at the time.

My friend (her own admission) has no decorating gene...I enjoy shopping, picking out things but we have opposite taste....it will be interesting to see how the place turns out, ha!

We live in a rural area, no decorators close by to hire, but I am thinking if she does not rush things, she will make good choices.  She just needs some 'friend' support.

I did tell her to get a paint stick with the paint on it, not the chip from the paint store...that will help her stay in the right family of colors.  She needs to have it with her all the time....just in case she needs it.

thanks for the advice.

Yes, @Lilysmom  wall to wall.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 I would not be without carpet.  Very cold winters in our area.

Honored Contributor

I chose a neutral color for carpet so that I could change up the walls and decor.  

I am an original owner and one of the things we used to do at night when the new units were getting ready for sale is to look in the windows to see what color carpet people chose.

The house behind me had 2 floors of a beautiful claret color.  Try decorating around that for the next 10 years.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

We took all the carpeting out of house and don't regret it for a minute. Even in the dead of winter. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  I like your color scheme.

I am a fan of black, tan and cream in a room.

Honored Contributor

I ripped the last of my carpet out a couple of years ago and am so happy.

I don't go barefoot so I don't notice cold floors.  I'm in the DC area so it's not bitter cold here like in some places.

I had hunter green carpet in my basement and it showed every piece of lint.  I had champaign colored carpet in the rest of my house and the edges were all black.  The carpet cleaners said that's from the vent draft and it doesn't come out.

I am done with carpet.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN