Respected Contributor

Please, do not turn this into a political debate. My question is this...I keep seeing the "polls" stating that educated, middle aged women feel like...or support...candidate, etc. However, no one has asked my opinion, yet I, and all my friends and acquaintances fall in the educated, middle aged...category, and none  of us has been polled when we last spoke of it! There were easily 40 women at the get together. I understand random sampling, and my dd actually made the calls for the Marist Poll. However, there is no way of knowing that the sample group they pick is a true representation of this group. The danger is that people might see the results and decide they do not need to vote either because their candidate is leading or has no chance of winning. Hence, a flawed poll may be directing the election and by doing so, in effect picking the next president! Does anyone else find this as wrong as I do? Wrong, for many reasons!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

"Polling" is a lot more complicated than just making random phone calls

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

Please, do not turn this into a political debate. My question is this...I keep seeing the "polls" stating that educated, middle aged women feel like...or support...candidate, etc. However, no one has asked my opinion, yet I, and all my friends and acquaintances fall in the educated, middle aged...category, and none  of us has been polled when we last spoke of it! There were easily 40 women at the get together. I understand random sampling, and my dd actually made the calls for the Marist Poll. However, there is no way of knowing that the sample group they pick is a true representation of this group. The danger is that people might see the results and decide they do not need to vote either because their candidate is leading or has no chance of winning. Hence, a flawed poll may be directing the election and by doing so, in effect picking the next president! Does anyone else fond this as wrong as I do? Wrong, for many reasons!

I agree, this is why people should vote no matter what the polls say.  In fact listening to all the polls can be frustrating.  I remember a candidate actually saying during the primaries no need to vote because it was a done deal..   People at this point pretty much know who they are voting for.  Just vote.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

There's an old saying that figures can lie and liars can figure. Just vote as your civic duty and ignore the polls and all the noise.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that polls can be very mis-leading and yes dissuade people from voting because they think their candidate is certain to win or cannot possibly win.  I was called last week by some polling company re the presidential election.   I refused to participate as it is no ones business who I am going to vote,for.

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

There's an old saying that figures can lie and liars can figure. Just vote as your civic duty and ignore the polls and all the noise.

I've never heard that before, but I love it!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

So, there are over 360 million people in the U.S. And you find it odd that you and your 40-50 friends haven't been included in a poll?? My friend, you are way off base to question the value of polls based on your personal observation. Polls are helpful and informative when professionally done. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of alluding to political candidate

Trusted Contributor

Polls change all the time.  If you watch them constantly, they won't mean anything.  You might consider the trend or the swing over time, instead of each poll number.MO

When you add in the electoral college, chances of the polls being a reference point, I think are pretty slim.MO

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

Please, do not turn this into a political debate. My question is this...I keep seeing the "polls" stating that educated, middle aged women feel like...or support...candidate, etc.

However, no one has asked my opinion, yet I, and all my friends and acquaintances fall in the educated, middle aged...category, and none  of us has been polled when we last spoke of it!

There were easily 40 women at the get together. I understand random sampling, and my dd actually made the calls for the Marist Poll. However, there is no way of knowing that the sample group they pick is a true representation of this group.

The danger is that people might see the results and decide they do not need to vote either because their candidate is leading or has no chance of winning.

Hence, a flawed poll may be directing the election and by doing so, in effect picking the next president! Does anyone else fond this as wrong as I do? Wrong, for many reasons!

@Imadickens

You bet.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)