Valued Contributor
I you have fought and won the weight gain battle post menopause.....please share your most helpful tip(s)
Respected Contributor

Re: Menopause and Weight Gain

[ Edited ]

Gayle2 wrote:
I you have fought and won the weight gain battle post menopause.....please share your most helpful tip(s

There is no miracle cure to weight loss.  I refused to let Menopause get the best of me and I didn't want to make the excuse for my weight gain on going through the change of life.  I went on WW and I'm still working the plan.  I say to myself that I will always count points or calories and points is easiest for me.  You will feel so much better when you are in control of your eating and calories,  it doesn't mean you can't have a treat every day.  I eat a small candy bar at the end of the day.  I have learned to love fruit and the thin round sandwhich bread.  I also swim three times a week.  It's not a lot.  I just get in the pool and move. I'm a lifetime member now.  I think my secret is the fact that I know I will always think about what I eat.  Calories have consequences.  Good luck to you!  You can do it!

Respected Contributor

I pay attention to what I eat, and I exercise 5 or more days a week for 45-90 minutes.

Respected Contributor

I didn't have a weight problem after menopause at 50.  Now, at 64, I'm having "thick middle" syndrome. I've always had a waistline.  Been walking a lot lately and it seems to be helping - this summer was brutal and it was difficult to get out in that humidity and walk like I ususally do.  My mother had a great shape, but a "thick middle" - guess that's where I get it.  I also have a kettlebell which I use nightly and it really helps. 

Respected Contributor

@Gayle2 wrote:
I you have fought and won the weight gain battle post menopause.....please share your most helpful tip(s)

Just living thru menopause is winning!😉 My advice is just not to consider yourself "old" or "useless" but "young", "vital", and sexy! Often nature plays nasty tricks on our psyche! When we are no longer able to produce babies, nature seems to be through with us, no longer caring if we are beautiful or have a body built for carrying those babies! I believe that's why we gain weight even if we continue to eat well and exercise! Nature has other plans for us now, those plans must require us to have more padding, especially around my ( of course I meant our!) middle and hips! The way I look at it is if that's how nature needs me (uh, us!), then who am I, we to argue! Just don't become unhealthfully overweight!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I weigh myself daily and watch my intake accordingly.  It's not too difficult to manage the gain of a pound or two. Now if I could just redistribute it Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spin classes worked for me. The meno pot started to appear and I amped up my workouts. I take 3 to 4 very tough high intensity classes and yoga. 

Takes work  but it's worth it to me. I'm not going to let that weight land on my midsection . I'm too cheap to buy bigger clothes😎

Honored Contributor

I'm going to chime in here and say perhaps not only the dreaded menopause that throws us into categories of health concerns we never had prior to, but I'm also going to bring up potential thyroid concerns that also totally disrupts a good working metabolism.

I'd strongly urge you have your thyroid checked.  It takes a simple blood test your Dr can check when you're having other blood work done.  Our thyroid rules our lives, believe this or not, but after your blood is tested to see how thyroid is or is not functioning it means everything.

Get your thyroid checked, it's very important to how we look, feel, function.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I'm going to chime in here and say perhaps not only the dreaded menopause that throws us into categories of health concerns we never had prior to, but I'm also going to bring up potential thyroid concerns that also totally disrupts a good working metabolism.

I'd strongly urge you have your thyroid checked.  It takes a simple blood test your Dr can check when you're having other blood work done.  Our thyroid rules our lives, believe this or not, but after your blood is tested to see how thyroid is or is not functioning it means everything.

Get your thyroid checked, it's very important to how we look, feel, function.

Image result for yeah that emoticon
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

I had a partial hysterectomy last summer and I quit smoking 4 months (and 15 days ago, but who's counting!). I think my newfound 14 pounds is a combination of both. I cannot seem to get my mind set on losing this weight. I set my mind to the quitting smoking thing and just did it!  I have to get into this before my 14 pounds turns into 40!  It just sucks.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!