Respected Contributor

Yesterday my 10 y/o lab Bo was acting funny. He couldn't walk and was in pain. Wouldn't eat or drink either so I took him to the vets emergency hospital. They ran tests and xrays gave him a shot for the pain and some pills for the week. They ruled out cancer, broken bones, anything internal. The Drs. were perplexed. 

The night didn't go well, he was in pain and couldn't walk. He looked at us as to say 'please help me' I was crying so hard and my son was crying. everyone was crying. Bo was a sweet, kind and gentle dog. He never hurt anyone and was so good with kids. I remember getting him at six weeks old and him sleeping on my lap all the way home.

Before we decided to put him down we ran one more test just to make sure and there was no change, Bo had what my last dog had. Where the brain doesn't send the signal to the back legs to walk and the dogs become paralyzed. Eventually the spine gets worse  and the animal spends years in agony.

I have had to have 6 animals put down in my life and 3 die naturally. Each time it hurts, its like your family and people dont understand that. They want you to snap out of it. How do you do that from someone who gives you unconditional love, is always there for you and always happy to see you.

I miss him, I told him all my secrets and he stayed with me when I was sick or just sat with me to keep me company. I have been crying all day and hurt all over. And even though it hurts and I vow to never have another dog Im sure my heart will soften one day, but as for now my heart is torn to pieces and broken.

Thanks for listening.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow- I am so sorry for what you've just gone through.  Believe me, I know the pain you're in right now and I know that nothing but time will help to even make it possible to get through the day.

Please know that there are many of us on these boards who have gone through the same thing - more than once - and you have our prayers and healing thoughts.

Be gentle with yourself.  You did the very best thing you could for Bo and you gave him years of love.  Remember the love he gave you, too.  We pay a high price for that love, but it is so worth it.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow  i'm so sorry for your loss and I totally understand your feelings.  When we lost a dog we had for over 15 years, I also said "no more dogs."   In time with the kids wanting another dog, we did get a rescue.  The dog I have now is also a rescue and I don't think I would like to live alone without this dog.   Dogs are such great companions and just so nice to have around.  Maybe in time you will feel like getting another dog.  Again, I feel for you at this time.

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh, my heart is breaking for you. Us doggy people are giving you gentle hugs, we understand your pain xxoo

Respected Contributor

Smiley SadHeartHeartHeart

Respected Contributor

I know what you are going through.  I’m sorry for your loss.  Out pets are part of our family.  I’m glad you posted because my sweet girl dog is going through this same thing. You explained it very well. My doctors are perplexed, too.  My girl has lost the use of both her back legs.  She is still eating and drinking, but can’t get up to pee.  She drags herself to the dish.  We carry her everywhere.  We are deciding on when it’s time to let her go.  

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow I’m sorry for your loss. Yes we love our pets but you lived Bo and know his aches and pains. In my opinion you did the right thing.  Bless you and your family. 

Respected Contributor

@hsawaknow, I'm grabbing you right now and giving you a close hug from my heart to yours. I hope you can feel it. People do understand...so many of us do. It hurts so much. It's just the worst! Please know that others care and know this pain. BTW, my black lab's name was Boo Boo. 

Sincerely,

pupwhipped   

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow  This is just the worse when we lose our beloved pets.  I know nothing helps and it takes a long time to adjust to a home without our furry members.  We never lose that feeling of loss.  You loved and were loved by your sweet Bo.  Sending you and your family much love.

Frequent Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved pet and I do understand how you feel and send my sympathy to you and your family.