Respected Contributor

Yesterday, I began receiving numerous phone calls to my home phone from my own phone number and my name in caller id.  I picked up the first call just out of curiosity.  It was a recording claiming to be Microsoft.  As soon as I heard Microsoft, I hung up knowing it was scamming.  I have called the phone company and there's little that can be done according to them.   Actually spoke to three   people, each sending me on to the next.  The last one gave me the bad news.  

Has anyone here been spoofed?  If so, how did you stop the calls?  Or did you stop them? 

Thank you! 

Esteemed Contributor

Yup - had a couple calls where I was calling myself.  ID shows my number and name.  Didn't bother to do anything - won't help and didn't invest in  $100 blocker either.  Scammers just use another number.  I don't answer (talk) either - just activate the phone to stop the ringing and immed hang up.  Flood of hearing aid and emergency alert buttons - doing it.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I occasionally get calls from my own phone number but know enough not to pick up as it's got to be a scam call or telemarketer. I also on my landline get calls from a landline with a totally different phone number that's in another part of the house. (One of my kids stays here a few nights a week and it's in his room, kept it for several reasons). I also get calls at least once a day that look local...as in my area code followed by the 3 numbers that 90% of people in town have as their first 3 digits.....all phoney baloney. These scammers have found every which way to try to trick you into picking up. Some folks swear by Nomorobo as saving them from many many of these calls. Others have bought gadgets to hook up to your phone that allow you to block huge numbers. Think HSN sells a very popular one.

Regular Contributor

Re: Phone number spoofed!?

[ Edited ]

I hve and after the phone company researched it, there was nothing they could do. is kind of creepy though but obviously happens more & more frequently.

If I don't recognize the number, I ignore it anyway. If it's for real, they will leave a voicemail.

Honored Contributor

Yes, but I knew it wasn't me so I just let it ring. I never answer unless the name is someone I know on caller ID. 

Honored Contributor

I block most numbers I don't recognize...often after I've googled the number to see if others have reported it.  Only had a call from my own number once.  Was reluctant to block that, since I figured it would block all incoming calls to my number that might be legit.  If only the scammers would do something worthwhile with their "talents"!

Honored Contributor

Yes, people get these kinds of calls sometimes.  It's another reason that I simply do not answer my phone unless I recognize the caller.  Period.  If I don't recognize the number and it turns out to be someone I need to speak with, he/she leaves a message and I call right back.  So while it may be hard to stop these calls from coming - we don't have to answer any of them.

Valued Contributor

I had real issues like this for a while.  I also called the telephone company and checked with the FTC.  Nothing helped until I set up Nomorobo. Now the phone will only ring one time if a scammer calls.  If a call slips through, enter the number with Nomorobo.  The calls have greatly reduced. In addition, if it only rings once, there is no need to answer it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phone number spoofed!?

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic

This has been happening to me for over a year.  

As others have said, I ignore and/or block any number I don't recognize in Caller ID.  And, as others have said, there is little or nothing that will stop them.

I've also been getting unless calls from something that shows up as 800 Service.  I block them if I see the same number calling twice.

Otherwise, they just call from another number.

Just don't answer.

Respected Contributor

@Thrive

The problem is that the number calling is MY NUMBER!  I can't block my own number and I don't know what would happen if I entered it in Nomorobo.