Respected Contributor

Re: High or Low Maintenance?

I admit, high maintenance here.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m low maintenance, more so since I retired.  I’ve never had a manicure or pedicure, and only wear minimal makeup if I’m going out.  I wear simple, classic clothing, mostly cotton.  I rarely wear jewelry.   I’m a minimalist at heart and enjoy living a fairly plain and simple life. 

Honored Contributor

Probably high maintenance.  I've always "taken care of" my appearance and I can't recall the last time I went out of the house/apt w/o makeup.  Probably high school - we weren't allowed to wear makeup to school in those days.

Bubble bath and shampoo almost every morning for at least the last  60 years (excluding hotels/motels/inns with only a shower) and hospital stays.  

Do my nails once a week - with midweek touchup.  I have home clothes and "out" clothes.  I'm not the world's greatest cook ... but I love experimenting with different seasonings, spices, herbs.

I have pierced ears ... no way I'm going outside w/o earrings with holes in my earlobes!

My apt is far from simple ... lots of "stuff" around.  I'm a "maximumalist."  I love puttering around rearranging my "stuff."  (I'm currently in the process of "jazzing up" the place.  I have to go down and pick up my Amazon package ... some more "stuff" has arrived!  (It's looking fab ... love what I'm doing.  I have one issue that I have to figure out a solution ... thinking about it.  There is an easy solution but I don't want to go that way.)

I dyed my hair until about two months ago ... I'm going natural ... and it's just as much "maintenance" to camouflage the blonde as it was to camouflage the gray!

I enjoy taking care of myself ... and I'm planning to be around a lot more years!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm definitely low maintenance BUT there's nothing wrong with being high maintenance...I've always like to keep things simple, that's what works for me.

Honored Contributor

For me, maintenance becomes higher as I age.  It's more difficult keeping my weight down, exercising.  

Then there's meds and heating pads for aging issues creeping in.  I can't wait for what else is to come...I watch my mother and father knowing I will probably go down the same road.  

Still wear makeup and try to look nice when I go out. 

For me, maintenance is also making meals, doing the dishes, laundry, cleaning, getting the car inspected, taking a bath, brushing my teeth, etc., because all of it supports my life.  So, yes, I am high maintenance.  Just keeping someone alive and healthy is high maintenance, IMO.  

Just think how much time we'd have for fun if we didn't have all this maintenance.  

Occasional Contributor

Low and high. As a Southern woman,  we were taught to  always wear makeup. Do not leave the house without it. I wish I could get over that, but I think I look better with makeup. I am 67, so habits are hard to break!

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely low maintenance. Half the time I don’t even remember to brush my hair! 

Honored Contributor

I have always been low maintenance...I always wear make up, and do my toe nails, keep my hair cut/colored on a regular schedule....but I don't over do anything in my life.

Honored Contributor

I used to be super high maintenance, but the last couple of years I have become less so. I still work fulltime, so during the work week, I am high maintenance, full makeup, hair done, nice clothes,shoes, etc........

On the weekends if I don't have anything planned, I will leave the house with just lip gloss on, no other makeup-I like to give my skin a chance o be makeup free and get a breather......I will always take a shower every day, even I am not leaving the house-I don't feel right until I am clean!

I still color my hair, love to shop, love to decorate, but it isn't the most important things in my life...The only time I wear makeup on the weekend is if we have something special going on,otherwise makeup free for 2 days! So I guess I am still high maintenance, but lower on the weekend! lol! There was a time where I wouldn't dare leave the house without makeup, but I have gotten over that, and I have good skin from all of my skin care products, so I am ok with it!    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess you could say I was high maintenance in the makeup/skincare area.  I don't just wear it when I go somewhere but every day.  I want to look and feel my best for me and not only for others to see when I go out.  I look the same whether at home doing work or going somewhere.  Have regular hair appointments but no pedicures but do wear polish on my toes but not fingers.  I do like clothing that is different from the norm but always casual.  Only wear earrings.  Acessorizing is not for me.  I never did like that high/low maintenance branding.  I have always seen high maintenance as someone who has to have perfection in their house  at all costs but in that area I am low maintenance.