Trusted Contributor

End of Family Circle Magazine

With my December issue was a letter stating that issue will be the last one I'll receive of Family Circle.  The remainder of my subscription they'll substitute Martha Stewart magazine, or another magazine of my choice.

I read the below on line:

Meredith Corporation will discontinue publication of Family Circle magazine after the December 2019 issue, the company announced.

First published in 1932, Family Circle was considered one of the “seven sisters” of women's magazines along with Ladies' Home Journal, McCall's, Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Woman's Day and Redbook.

Another thing from my past that will no longer exist.  My mom always subscribed to Family Circle when I was a child, and I remember always looking forward to the Christmas issue.   After I got married, and was no longer living at home, I subscribed to it for the next 38 years.   It was not as good as the years went on; however, I still did enjoy some of the articles and recipes.

Super Contributor

Re: End of Family Circle Magazine

That makes me sad. I never subscribed but I bought it at the grocery checkout. Family Circle and Woman's Day were two of the magazines that I could afford as a young mom with a very limited budget. I loved the articles, recipes and the offers for free stuff. They always had patterns for crochet, knitting, needlepoint, etc. It was a real value for me.

Honored Contributor

I received a notice today, that the latest issue of " Racheal Ray," will be the last. They will continue to publish a newsstand only version 4 times a year, and as a long time subscriber I'll receive the first one in Jan. After that my subscription will finish with The Magnolia Journal, which they can keep as far as I'm concerned. I like magazines, but it's the times, so what can you do ?  I enjoy reading books on my devices, but nothing beats a glossy magazine, sigh. 😿

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop :I have read Family Circle since I was a child and it is one of very few magazines to which I still subscribe.  It is very sad that so many of the touchstones of our past are gone.

Esteemed Contributor

It is hard to see all of the oldies disappear. Magazines, stores, restaurants. Technology has simplified our lives, but with it's growth, it has also made me yearn for yesteryear. Back when my mother collected those blue stamps for redemption of products and wore polyester everything, having to wait weeks for photos to be developed by the local drug store, saving quarters so my friends and I could buy a big bag of penny candy, a 1 scoop ice cream cone was a dime at Thrifty's-I miss those days. Sigh

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I always liked Family Circle magazine. Sorry to hear this.

Valued Contributor

It's a long story but my subscription to Family Circle goes (or was supposed to go) until February 2027.  I wonder why they kept selling subscriptions when they must have known the end was coming.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

With my December issue was a letter stating that issue will be the last one I'll receive of Family Circle.  The remainder of my subscription they'll substitute Martha Stewart magazine, or another magazine of my choice.

I read the below on line:

Meredith Corporation will discontinue publication of Family Circle magazine after the December 2019 issue, the company announced.

First published in 1932, Family Circle was considered one of the “seven sisters” of women's magazines along with Ladies' Home Journal, McCall's, Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Woman's Day and Redbook.

Another thing from my past that will no longer exist.  My mom always subscribed to Family Circle when I was a child, and I remember always looking forward to the Christmas issue.   After I got married, and was no longer living at home, I subscribed to it for the next 38 years.   It was not as good as the years went on; however, I still did enjoy some of the articles and recipes.

@BunSnoop ...when you said, "Another thing from my past that will no longer exist", it really hit me in the gut. I, too, grew up reading FC. So many things from our past that we were familiar with and loved have left and continue to leave us.Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Image result for sad flower

Honored Contributor

I have been getting Family Circle for years but I have never subscribed to it.  I keep getting renewal notices and toss them but they have never stopped the magazine.  I got the same letter.