Valued Contributor

Has anyone met someone at a botique

[ Edited ]

I was shopping at my favorite botique the other day and the lady who worked there was very nice helpful. We started talking as she was helping me find what i was looking for, then we started talking fashion, designers and then on to fun things to do in the summer here. She seemed very active and I couldnt believe it when she said that she was in her late 60s. 

Anyway, I told her i was moving out of the area and she asked if i had seen such and such places here. When i said no, she reached out and gave me her card. She said she'd love to take me. She's much older than me but i still really appreciated her offer and was really touched by it.

Have any of you made friends with someone on a shopping endevour? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone met someone at a botique

Nothing like you describe has ever happened, but I say "just looking" when a salesperson approaches.
Honored Contributor

No, I never had but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

There were a few times when I started to talk with someone in a store and we had such a great conversation that I almost asked if they wanted to get together sometime but I didn't. 

During the last presidential election I was waiting in a long line for my turn to vote.  The line was brought indoors due to inclement weather and my husband had gone much earlier than me.  I started to talk to the woman next to me in line.  She had her husband along with her but he was disabled and had to keep sitting down.  I had a great conversation with her and I felt that we had several things in common...her husband had similar health issues and we were the same age plus I just felt like we clicked.  I almost asked he if she wanted to get together sometime but didn't and I sort of regret  it...oh well.

I did become friends with a woman years ago while waiting my turn for a hair cut at a salon.  My daughter was only weeks old and another woman waiting next to me also just had a baby. Our babies were home with their dads so we were able to talk.  We exchanged numbers and became friends.

Valued Contributor

Nice!  Take her up on her offer!  We can never have too many friends and you just may be helping a lonely person by your company.  Age shouldn’t matter, a pleasant person is what’s important.  Do it!

Honored Contributor

I actually have met someone while out shopping.   She didn’t work in the store, but we struck up a conversation. 

I was new to the area, and she seemed friendly and welcoming.  We got together a few times, then I learned she was a Mary Kay consultant and she was interested in me as a potential customer.  So, beware.  

Honored Contributor

I'm forever making random "friends" out in public.

Once I was in line at a fast food restaurant

While I was waiting for my order, another lady there and I struck up a conversation.

We ended up sharing a booth!

Never saw her again.

I live in the south, where everything is a social event.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Actually, yes.  One of my good friends is the owner of a boutique in town.  I could only buy jewelry and accessories in her shop because she only sold sizes 2-12.  One day, we were chatting and I asked her about that.  I asked why she exluded half the women in town and she did not like the question...LOL   She babbled some foolishness because the question embarrassed her but a couple of weeks later when I was walking by she ran out and asked me to me in.  You can tell when a store is failing and I knew her's was failing.  We talked that day and a couple of other times and she listened.  She changed her "skinny girls only" strategy over time and that brought in more customers and at some point she and I became friends.    

Honored Contributor

I live nearby a few tourist towns. They fill up with vacationers during the summers. I have a few boutiques I shop at. One in particular, I've gotten rather close to the manager. When I go in there now, she becomes my personal shopper. I just let her go and she does her magic choosing beautiful outfits, tops, bottoms that fit my figure to a T. Love small town living. Heart

"Pure Michigan"