Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone met someone at a botique

I've made some close friends through where I now work.  Wonderful people!

I don't belong to a book club or anything like that and have no wish to.

You never know when you'll randomly bump into someone.  They enjoy having a new friend as well!  I go out to lunch several times a week.

Esteemed Contributor

Twenty years ago my husband and I went to Paris with one of his co-workers and his wife, a close friend. They were there on business but I was there for pleasure. After their meetings were completed, we all became tourists. My friend and I were standing around, looking at a guidebook, when an elderly gentleman wearing a straw hat and an ascot approached us and asked if he could help us tour his neighborhood. Somehow we all agreed to it and had one of the most memorable and wonderful days ever. At one point we stopped at an arttist’s studio and, to make a long story short, we became dear friends with the artist and his wife...to this day.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have met some women at a boutique but quickly learned they only wanted to sell me something to add to their commissions.

I prefer to make friends outside of the retail environment. In retail, everyone is a potential "friend" but often times it is all about the money and not because of friendship...or at least in the way I see a friendship.

Respected Contributor

No, this has never happened to me, but I have had nice conversations with store personnel and/or other shoppers.  I hate standing in line, so I'm always happy to have someone to chat with;  it helps pass the time. 

Respected Contributor

@september - your Mary Kay comment made me laugh. My sister and I were out for a late lunch and were laughing a lot. A couple in the booth across from us came over and said we sounded like fun ppl and the conversation was nice - TIL the stupid questions began! Did we believe in women helping women in their business endeavors?

My sister looked at her and without blinking asked which MLM she was gonna try to pull us into? She was Mary Kay and had the hard sell to host a party - blah blah blah! It was funny cuz her selling points were all the same script they all use!
Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl   So funny!  

When I first met this Mary Kay comsultant, I was not only new to the area, but I’d been living out of the country for the past few years.  I was an easy target but eventually caught on. 

Esteemed Contributor

I meet people when I'm out and about all the time.  For some reason, people just start talking to me wherever I am - It's always been that way.  Most of the time we have some interesting conversation and that's it.  But many times it turned into more than that, and we became good friends.

My mother met one of her closest friends many years ago waiting for a bus in NYC.  They both lived in the city, but one lived all the way uptown and the other all the way downtown.  They clicked instantly, and remained close until the friend passed away nearly 40 years later.

As for meeting someone in a boutique specifically, I don't think I ever have, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if I felt that "friend" kind of connection.  Friends are wherever we find them!

Honored Contributor

No, I have never acquired a friend this way.  I do actually talk to people at stores quite often.  Sometimes I may initiate and sometimes they do.  I am not really an outgoing person but I try and smile and have a pleasant face on.  It makes the day go better.  When I was walking every morning, I would often pass by people on their porches or in their yards and most of them I would smile at and say good morning to and nearly all of them were very nice and replied.  Some didn't, but I thought --- well, more power to you!  

I am, as I have gotten older though, more cautious or suspicious of people.  It's sad to say, but the way things are these days, I am rather fearful if people approach me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I had a nice conversation with the manager at the cosmetics counter when I was looking for perfume. We had many of the same ideas about fragrance and I complimented him on his beard and he told me I had beautiful skin. Of course, the conversation ended, I didn't buy anything, but if he wanted to have coffee I would have. I use to have many male friends and actually prefer men as friends.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been that lucky, but what a nice gesture.  A new friend, how wonderful for you.