Respected Contributor
I have 2 hummingbird feeders containing the same liquid. One gets drained quickly, but the other is barely touched. They air hanging about 10 feet or so apart. What gives? Any theories? BTW, last summer the feeder that is being ignored
Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic : That happened to us. Couldn’t figure it out. Turned out even though I thought I was really cleaning the feeder when freshening the nectar it was actually getting mold in tight areas. I even used the tiny brush for the ports and the big brush for the bottle.

I now have feeders with no recessed spots and are very easy to keep clean. My feeders have wide mouths that are easy to get into and the area with the ports separates into 2 parts making it super simple and fast to clean. Big difference. 

Even if both if yours are the same, the one might be getting that mold.

Honored Contributor

At ten feet, they're rather close together.  Maybe a hummingbird feeds mainly from one, but chases visitors away from the other since it considers it to be his as well.  They're very territorial.

Esteemed Contributor

Your feeders are too close together. Hummingbirds can be territorial. Make sure you are changing the feeders every 2-3 days. Also, I use white vinegar and hot water to clean them, focusing on the ports. 

Trusted Contributor

@riley1 : I have 2 closer than 2 feet and they go to them equally...not at the same time though.

I used that same cleaning method but still had a problem. Glad it works for you

Esteemed Contributor

I tried two feeders once........it seemed to cause confusion - birfd fighting - each one thought they owned both.  With only one feeder - one family of Hummers own that one and other Hummers can go to a neighbor. 

I'm not here to feed the world.

Honored Contributor

I have never had more than one feeder.  I also rarely ever see the little hummers until fall.  I know something is using the feeder right now, but I just haven't seen and it's not in a good location to watch.  I don't really have anywhere that would be convenient for me to watch in my house anyways.  I get a lot of action in the fall though with two or three continually fighting over it. 

My backyard is mostly shady, but I have a sunny spot out front that I am trying to turn into a pollinator garden, but I also read that they like the hosta flowers which I have planted all over the back yard.  

I have also read that in the spring they follow the buckeye blooming as they head north, so I know when mine blooms it's time to put the feeder out.  Mine blooms a little earlier than the native wild ones though.

Valued Contributor

i usually put up three feeders.  One on my deck, one outside my kitchen window hanging from a sheperd's hook ( a double I usually have feeder on one side and plant on the other) and one about twenty feet away. We rebutilt our deck and waiting to have the pole up so I can put the feeder back so until then I have two feeders hanging off the double sheperd's hook .  This year I can't keep them full.  There are always birds around.  In the past my hummers would only allow one to eat and then another would chase them away.  This year there are several eating from each feeder all at once not being territorial at all.  Not sure why.  But I did find in the past one feeder would be preferred over the others, this year they can't get enought of any ot them.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 3 feeders: 2 are close to each other and 1 is farther away. I think they have their favorite feeders for some reason, even though they flit about and try them all. I discovered a little mold in one of the feeders this morning when I was changing them - they definitely seem to sense or taste the mold. Also, I had ordered a powdered mix from a well known  company that had added nutrients for hummers - they don't like it, so back to the usual sugar water mixture! I love the hummingbirds, but I think they're a little quirky!

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic  does one hang in the hot sun while the other is in shade?  Maybe the liquid is getting too warm for them to drink?

......You look like I need a drink.....