Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover ,  with this awful Georgia heat/humidity even at night, I started bringing my feeders in several years ago, this time of year I've always got room in the fridge for them.  In the morning when I go to hang my saucer one (which is under the deck) I'm mostly met by a hummer, hovering & waiting.. what interesting little birds!! 

I also bring my tube feeders in at night- we had a problem with roof rats & the pest guy said they'll crawl over feeders during the night.. plus when I clean them, I take a lysol wipe to the ring and around the port holes.. plus I make sure no dust has accumulated in the portholes as that can turn into almost concrete hardness and seed won't drop down from the tube. 

Love my birds!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover : I’m so sorry but I threw the tags away. Found them at one of our local feed stores and only $8.99 each

My sister got one that looks like a flying saucer. You can either put it on a pole or hang it. The feeder part comes in two parts so easy to open, clean and refill. She got it at Ace Hardware. It is a nice one. I think it was just under $20.

I refill every morning once the bats arrive later in the summer.

And I just realized I said my 2 are closer than 2 ft. Nope, meant to say closer than 10ft 

Frequent Contributor

Ladies, I have 3 feeders. All are the jewel box style from amazon. Very easy to clean and they suction cup to your window. Very stable and no swinging in the wind.  A great way to view the hummers.  I see many every day and yes they do fight. It’s their nature to protect their territory. I live in central NY. They usually arrive the week before mother’s day every year and usually stay to end of September depending on temps. My grandchildren love to sit by the window and wait. A close up view is amazing. 

Valued Contributor

I just added my fourth feeder and it is intresting to watch them. The two by the kitchen window are shared and I see three or four feeding on each at the same time.  The one further by a garden attract some of the overflow from the kitchen.  The one I put on the deck a couple of days ago has attracted a "guard.'  It was less than a minute from the time I hung it to its first visitor.  I will see one or two and than the guard sits on top.  Going through over 1/2 gallon of food a day! Two need to be filled twice a day.

Honored Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

I just added my fourth feeder and it is intresting to watch them. The two by the kitchen window are shared and I see three or four feeding on each at the same time.  The one further by a garden attract some of the overflow from the kitchen.  The one I put on the deck a couple of days ago has attracted a "guard.'  It was less than a minute from the time I hung it to its first visitor.  I will see one or two and than the guard sits on top.  Going through over 1/2 gallon of food a day! Two need to be filled twice a day.

@kitty60   You must live out west.  I would love to see that many hummingbirds a day!  We only have ruby throated hummingbirds in TN, and they won't share a feeder.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Actually I am in SC.  I mark my calendar for the third week of March each year and the hummingbirds arrive in 7 to 10 days.  I usually get one first, I think he must be the scout and then they start to fly in.  I will usually get a lull of a couple weeks after I see them and then they start to feed and flourish in growing numbers.

Honored Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Actually I am in SC.  I mark my calendar for the third week of March each year and the hummingbirds arrive in 7 to 10 days.  I usually get one first, I think he must be the scout and then they start to fly in.  I will usually get a lull of a couple weeks after I see them and then they start to feed and flourish in growing numbers.

@kitty60   You are very lucky.  Mine came very early this year, too.  I think it's because we were averaging 10 degrees above normal this spring.  I usually see a few in April and then they leave.  They normally are here July through the end of September.  They came in April and never left this year.  I've loved it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I don't bring my feeders in at night because it still coools down pretty well here.  I hate the thought, I'd have sugar water all over the place.  I put through the dishwasher if necessary, but I guess our hummers aren't that picky, they keep coming all season.

Trusted Contributor

@Suziepeach I'm sure your birds love you in return ♥

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@Suziepeach I'm sure your birds love you in return ♥

@PilatesLover , I'd like to think so!  Heart 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee