Honored Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

I just added my fourth feeder and it is intresting to watch them. The two by the kitchen window are shared and I see three or four feeding on each at the same time.  The one further by a garden attract some of the overflow from the kitchen.  The one I put on the deck a couple of days ago has attracted a "guard.'  It was less than a minute from the time I hung it to its first visitor.  I will see one or two and than the guard sits on top.  Going through over 1/2 gallon of food a day! Two need to be filled twice a day.

Sounds like my house.  I’ve reduced my feeders to four because I’ve been having too many hummingbirds the last few years and they’re getting to be too much work.  Even so, they still keep me hopping.

I have four 4-cup feeders with eight ports each, and in another month or so every one of those ports are likely to have a hummer at it.  From then until October I go through ten pounds of sugar a week.  Right now I only have one feeder a day to fill, and maybe a dozen birds at a time.

Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

When I hang more than one feeder, they are attracted to both and battle for both.  And I change their sugar water twice a week and bring it in every night & refrigerate.  Want it as fresh as possible for them but then, that's just me. 

I also use the saucer feeder and one similar to this:

/th?id=OP.vVcIVjm1yhwQ0A474C474&o=5&pid=21.1

I never thought to bring them in at night to refrigerate - what a great idea.

great tip @Suziepeach

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
I wouldn’t refrigerate them at night because you need to bring them to room temperature before putting them out.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@evagrace , it's sure better than leaving it out all night in more heat, even when the nights are cooler I bring it in.. Smiley Happy

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:
I wouldn’t refrigerate them at night because you need to bring them to room temperature before putting them out.

@NickNack I hang mine up right out the fridge and they don't mind at all.. one almost always comes to the feeder right away..doesn't take long to warm up.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@this is my nic : That happened to us. Couldn’t figure it out. Turned out even though I thought I was really cleaning the feeder when freshening the nectar it was actually getting mold in tight areas. I even used the tiny brush for the ports and the big brush for the bottle.

I now have feeders with no recessed spots and are very easy to keep clean. My feeders have wide mouths that are easy to get into and the area with the ports separates into 2 parts making it super simple and fast to clean. Big difference. 

Even if both if yours are the same, the one might be getting that mold.

Good tips. Never thought about hidden mold.