Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elder Care and Sibling Conflict

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

This is common and, unfortunate!

WHY do people share such incredibly personal things on a shipping forum?????

Yes, it is common and unfortunate, @Tinkerbell3 .I'm sure that the OP appreciates your comment.

@suzyQ3  I love your comment!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Yes, it is common and unfortunate, @Tinkerbell3 .I'm sure that the OP appreciates your comment.

@suzyQ3  I love your comment!!!

Thank you, @Sage04, Believe me, it could have gone in a very different direction. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Um, you got off on the wrong floor, this isn't shipping....

Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Because we ALL need to vent..we do not know this person and she probably had no one else to talk to....I see nothing wrong with her post.   Asking for advice/help is better than becoming depressed because you have no one to talk to.

Honored Contributor

I'm in a similar situation. My dad is 90, still able to live at home, but needs lots of help. I do all the day to day things, groceries, and driving. I'm honored to help Dad. We laugh and talk and have fun.  5 of my 6 siblings also help.

My challenges are with my disabled sister. She had a massive stroke at 52. She has many limitations. After a 4 month hospital stay this year, Dad and I moved her to assisted living. 

My sister is demanding, stubborn, cruel, insensitive, and thinks only about herself. 

After being on the receiving end of a particularly cruel time earlier this year, I backed away from her. The stress and anxiety hit its max. I will not be her punching bag anymore.  

I'm a new person since I set boundaries with her (something new to me). I wish I had learned how to do this long ago. My stress level is low again and I'm functioning like I should instead of being bogged down under all the stress. I'm learning how to take care of myself again.

My point:  Set boundaries during this stressful time. You have to take care of yourself in order to help your dad. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessylady I am so sorry to hear this but it is common. My mother was in a nursing home all this year until she passed in July. My sister was handling all the  decisions and I was used to taking care of my mother as I had for 20 years. I always trusted my sister until that period of time. I will say I was the one acting horribly and I am ashamed.

During the time of Covid didn't help any either. I wanted my mother to be in a nursing home near me rather than over an hour away near her. I was angry honestly because my mother was dying and I couldn't  see her and that was no one's fault. I can see that now and I am blessed to have my sister but I could not see that at the time. My anger and grief took over. I have seen this situation so many times and it is common.

I pray for you and your family that you are able to communicate and overcome these feelings. In my situation my mother passed and my sister and I are very close now again. We are all we have as far as brothers and sisters. I admit I behaved in a way that would have hurt my mother.

I hope that time will heal your family. Maybe even reach out to your brother and see what happens. There were many things I wish I had asked my mother before her getting sick and unable to communicate.

Do you know where your father wants to be if he can't be in his home any longer? Who is to make the decisions? You are in my prayers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCDiva Getting old is not easy for my Dad or me. As he is getting better, he is more demanding and I am really tired after 24 hours. But then I am grateful that I am not alone in this and have siblings willing to share in this. I want to maintain my dignity and my health during this stressful time. I do daily meditation with the Calm app, read inspirational books and pray.