Respected Contributor

This will seem trivial but anyway do you get compliments from friends and family? 

I saw a friend I had not seen in a really long time on Monday.  She commented that she had lost 75 lbs and I told her she looked great.   I commented on her nice short hair cut.  She never once complimented me lol. Nada.

My Dad used to tell me I looked nice, but since hes been remarried to my StepMom he does not say a thing now.

My StepMom has not ever once complimented me and neither have my StepSiblings.

I look my best when I go to their house and when we all get together. They are always complimenting each other but never ever me!!! Makes me feel a little odd but I try and not let it bother me.  I will keep doing what Im doing and fix my hair nicely and dress nicely and continue to compliment others.  That is just me.

Not in a fake-- all the time way, but when they do look great etc.  

BTW I am not whining just asking. Like I said I know it is trivial but wanted to see what you all had to say lol.

Esteemed Contributor

if it bothers you.....then stop complimenting them.....jmo....

Respected Contributor

@nana59  lol

Honored Contributor

Never.    If anything, my one family member tells me how I could "improve myself".........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

That's b/c you probably look better than the whole lot of them put together!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Complimenting

[ Edited ]

@bridal_diva   LOL. Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear @I guess I never gave it thought before you brought it up but my answer would be no or alt least not that I remember.I don’t need compliments but I do feel good giving them.I like to see people look pleased to be noticed.I don’t know why your family would leave you out when they compliment each other...seems to be a oversight.I think you could ask them.Maybe you always look so good that they think you don’t need a compliment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Never.    If anything, my one family member tells me how I could "improve myself".........

really?!  maybe you should tell that family member you don't need any improvement....myob!!

Respected Contributor

I almost never get compliments from family, sometimes from friends, but so many from total strangers, which always makes me feel good.

My in-laws have never once complimented me on anything, personal, cooking, home, achievements, etc.  They are definitely a dour bunch, and yes, I did quit complimenting them.  That's the way they like it I guess.

I give compliments to my husband,  family and friends, and strangers too, not effusive, and not all the time, but I do.  A nice word makes your day a bit better.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I get compliments on things like my outfits and my gardens. Makes me feel like I a doing something right.