Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

You certainly have had your share of issues, but seem unfailingly positive, which I admire.

While this is a temporary bump in my healthcare road, I should not complain too long or loud.  For the most part, I have had few health problems.  And, at 72, that's saying a lot.

Both parents had adult onset diabetes and died from complications brought about by that.  Neither was particularly health conscious.  

Thankfully, my actions at an early age have helped, but have not eliminated all possible problems.  Some are genetic, some are just part of aging.

Considering how many I know that have already died at my age, I feel lucky in many respects.

Respected Contributor

My gynecologist recomended a bone density scan in my early 60's. It showed osteopenia. I tried Boniva but had side effects so I stopped. She told me about Prolia but I didn't follow up on it.  My next scan showed it had worsened and she recomeended highly that I talk to a rheumatologist she recomended about Prolia.  The Rheumatologist told me how it worked, told me her own Mother was on it, and thought I should give it a try. I did.  At first I was not 65 yet and I went through my healthcare plan and was able to get a discount on it.  After a few treatments my doctor said she would be stocking it and could bill it through medical with no pharmacy of mine involved and it would bea covered 100%. This made me happy. I am coming up on my  10th treatment (an injection every 6 months).  My bone density scan taken in 2021 showed it had improved slightly but she said the main thing was that it had not progressed to osteoperosis.  I have not had any side effects from  it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Catch71 

That's great...I'm so glad it is working for you!

Yes, the cost was shocking to me since I only take one med for my thyroid and that's very inexpensive.

As I mentioned, it is listed at  $1500 per shot and, with my health insurance, it would be $750 twice a year. 

I'm just going to have to think about it.

Contributor

Right before the pandemic my OB/GYN did a bone scan. At that time she said she would recheck in a year and might start me on medication. Due to Covid and my late husband becoming ill, I didn't go back to see her until this last November. Surprisingly, the new bone scan showed improvement. I wasn't taking any supplements for bone hea!th. She, also, suggested Osteostrong. My chiropractor endorsed this, also. You can goog!e it.  I started it in January and will see the amount of improvement, hopefully, in November.  

Esteemed Contributor

The first thing I will say is that life is not fair.  All we can do is the best we can.

I tried my best, but was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  Later learned my Vitamin D levels were very low, hence my efforts did not work.

I am doing very well on Prolia, which I take through a Bone Clinic at a university.  Their cost for Prolia is less than an individual doctor may pay because of the large amount of Prolia they purchase.  My co-pay is $500, as the university cost is $1,000 per dose.

I will say initially I was surprised with their emphasis at how much calcium I was taking.  I was taking supplements and learned that their recommended dosage was lower than the manufacturer recommended.  

My usual diet was was considered for amount of calcium, and it was determined I should only take half the amount of calcium the manufacturer recommended.  I think there is concern that an overload of calcium is harmful.  They also allow me one cup of coffee a day (decaf included).  Exercise is recommended - walking especially.

I am doing very well!  It is a relief.  I would hate to fall and break a hip at my age.  Good luck to all in your decisions.  I can only relate what my experience has been.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT 

I am happy to hear your about your positive experience.

My GP appointment is in June and I'll speak with her then. I feel more comfortable talking with her than the current doctor prescribing Prolia.  She has been treating me for thyroid issues, but we do not have a great rapport.  

Yes, they have told me to decrease coffee, and I've been bad in that area.  I do take Calcium and Vitamin D, so I will ask for a review of the dosage.

Walking/exercise is something I have done most of my life, so that's a given.  

Thanks for your input.  I'm glad it's working!

Esteemed Contributor

The first thing I will say is that life is not fair.  All we can do is the best we can.

I tried my best, but was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  Later learned my Vitamin D levels were very low, hence my efforts did not work.

I am doing very well on Prolia, which I take through a Bone Clinic at a university.  Their cost for Prolia is less than an individual doctor may pay because of the large amount of Prolia they purchase.  My co-pay is $500, as the university cost is $1,000 per dose.

I will say initially I was surprised with their emphasis at how much calcium I was taking.  I was taking supplements and learned that their recommended dosage was lower than the manufacturer recommended.  

My usual diet was was considered for amount of calcium, and it was determined I should only take half the amount of calcium the manufacturer recommended.  I think there is concern that an overload of calcium is harmful.  They also allow me one cup of coffee a day (decaf included).  Exercise is recommended - walking especially.

I am doing very well!  It is a relief.  I would hate to fall and break a hip at my age.  Good luck to all in your decisions.  I can only relate what my experience has been.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Oh my, that's a lot of money.  Of course, if it helped, it would be worth it, but who knows.  Best wishes....s

PS Ask your GP if there would be any way around that $750.  Make a list of questions for her so you are fully informed.  Good for you, doing your homework!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I had osteoporosis twenty years ago and I got one dose of the yearly Zometa given by IV. Had a severe reaction, long story. Went through the whole nine yards with the vitamin d and calcium supps plus I started resistance exercising. Bone density scans came back better but not normal. Doctor did not want to prescribe anything b/c of my reaction to the Zometa.

Today I have a normal bone density scan. I'm 67. I discovered silica supplements years ago and I have mentioned them here dozens of times. They work for me. Others on this forum claim they have helped them, too.

Silica (aka silicon not to be confused with silicone) is the main building block of collagen in the body. Bones are almost all made of collagen. Here what the NIH says about silica supplementation:

SILICON AND BONE HEALTH

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658806/

@SilleeMee.  How much do you take daily and do you buy locally or online? 

TIA

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Catch71 

That's great...I'm so glad it is working for you!

Yes, the cost was shocking to me since I only take one med for my thyroid and that's very inexpensive.

As I mentioned, it is listed at  $1500 per shot and, with my health insurance, it would be $750 twice a year. 

I'm just going to have to think about it.

@Witchy Woman  Not sure what drug you take for thyroid, but I believe some thyroid meds can deplete your bone density.