Esteemed Contributor

My endocrinologist is strongly suggesting I begin taking medication for my osteoporosis.

I've resisted, but the last appointment we discussed Prolia.  

Because of complications getting the drug, I'm having second thoughts about all of this.  I may wait and discuss with my GP in June.

Not only is the shot very expensive (insurance covers about 1/2 of it), but it requires preapproval and getting the shipment details worked out made me wonder if I was doing the right thing.

Tried Fosamax and had joint pain.   

All of this so disappointing.  I have exercised for most of my adult life...long distance running for many years, do some weight training...now walk at least 10,000 steps daily.  I eat a very healthy diet, too...mostly fish, fruits and vegetables.  

Any thoughts on the issue are appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Dairy/calcium, Vitamin D.  Protein rich foods. Oats, nuts.

I have a bowl of oat cereal with whole milk almost every day.  Hiusband likes to eat a lot of cheese.

Some people also say peanut butter helps.

We always have nuts to eat.

Not sure you can reverse your issues, but perhaps this will help prevent it getting worse. I understand about pills and shots--sometimes they are just temporary solutions for a bigger issue. 

Best wishes!

Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper 

For now, I'm just putting any medication on hold.

Yes, I eat nuts, take Vit. D, Calcium, and many other things that compose a healthy diet.

That's what is so vexing!  You do everything right and still have problems Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

i'm watching these comments and thank all for responses. 

My question for docs concerning osteoporosis meds: Is this a drug that you would give your mother? My doctor comes back with "its the standard of care" The term standard of care is a legal term (care plan that will keep you out of court) rather than a medical plan. 

I've read a lot about strontium added to calcium and D supplements. Used a lot in Europe but has its controversies. 

Forteo: synthetic parathyroid hormone. Good luck here bc can cause bone cancer. 

Vibration plates: first used by NASA to prevent bone loss by astronauts working in weightless conditions. 

Honored Contributor

I had osteoporosis twenty years ago and I got one dose of the yearly Zometa given by IV. Had a severe reaction, long story. Went through the whole nine yards with the vitamin d and calcium supps plus I started resistance exercising. Bone density scans came back better but not normal. Doctor did not want to prescribe anything b/c of my reaction to the Zometa.

Today I have a normal bone density scan. I'm 67. I discovered silica supplements years ago and I have mentioned them here dozens of times. They work for me. Others on this forum claim they have helped them, too.

Silica (aka silicon not to be confused with silicone) is the main building block of collagen in the body. Bones are almost all made of collagen. Here what the NIH says about silica supplementation:

SILICON AND BONE HEALTH

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658806/

Honored Contributor

I don't have osteoporosis--or at least I don't think so since I haven't had a bone density test in 4 years--but I would try what the previous poster suggested, silica.  I would avoid drugs unless my life depended on it.  IMO, if a drug is powerful enough to do one thing, it's also doing something else maybe not so beneficial.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Not sure if you remember, but we had a discussion some time back on the Silica supplements and I did buy them and HAVE taken them for a few months.  Likely not long enough to show changes.

I just did a bone scan and it was -3 I think.  So, I cannot have another for one or two years.  That surely would be enough time to show changes if I am diligent.

I feel better having canceled any further action for now.  So, I will be following up with my regular doctor on options and monitoring of the situation.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 

I would agree. 

My bad reaction to the Fosmax gave me pause for trying something else at this point.

Of course, the endocrinologist treating my thyroid made me feel this was importnat.  I like her, but it still gave me pause knowing the side affects.

Honored Contributor

I'm one of the ones that has had good results with the silica.  I didn't have osteoporosis, but was diagnosed w/osteopenia.  Have no idea what my number was, wonder if that would be in my patient portal, but that might've been before they had those, .  Anyways, Dr. wanted me to do Prolia, but my insurance wouldn't cover any of it, so I said no.  At the time, Fosamax was the only thing on my insurance company's formulary so I said I was open to that and he said okay.  However, I never did use it and instead started taking the silica in the form of Bamboo Extract.  I don't remember how long I took it, probably like 6 months or so.  I know it was not long-term because there are warnings for people with thyroid disease not to take it long-term.  My bone scan then came back good.  I stopped taking it at that point because of the above-mentioned warnings.

I recently started taking the pure silica since my gynecologist mentinoned at my last appt. that it would be time soon for another scan.  Silleemee and I discussed it and I decided to not take the Bamboo Extract and go with the pure silica.  It's very easy to take.  I just use 1/4 tsp mixed into my morning yogurt.  That bag is going to last me forever.  

Respected Contributor

I know it's discouraging to have such a diagnosis when you take good care of yourself.  I'm sorry.  Maybe it's genetic, and who knows where you would be if you didn't take good care of yourself??  Maybe worse.

I've been on several osteoporosis drugs, sorry to say, incuding Forteo the injectable.  I didn't get bone cancer from it.  Took Fosamax and had fractures on both femurs, a side-effect of that bone-building drug, believe it or not. I had surgery on both legs, and I'm good to go now!  :-)

I've been on Prolia several years.  Not sure if it's helping, because when I get my bone scan results, even if the density is down, I wonder if it would have been WORSE without the Prolia.  Hope that makes sense.  

One thing I do know is that when stopping Prolia, sometimes there is bone loss so to prevent this, bisphosphonates can be a suggested follow-up drug (Fosamax being one).  I remember you didn't like that drug, Witchy Woman.

You might ask how long a person can be on Prolia and the side effects.

Obviously, I don't know how old you are.  Maybe if you are in your late 60's or above, it would be more appropriate for you.  If younger, you might want to look at something else if there is anything other than bisphosphonates.  This is just my 2 cents, my opinion, and maybe not a good one.  You could get a second opinion and advice from another endo? Good idea to talk with your GP.  You are smart to look into this instead of just jumping.