Honored Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I swear by Theralac http://www.theralac.com

Theralac has to be refrigerated, although they can ship it to you. The best ones need to be refrigerated so only buy them from a store where you can see that they are kept refrigerated or from the manufacturer – who knows how to ship them and keeps them refrigerated at the factory. People who buy them from places like Amazon may get a better price but many times the product was not refrigerated and there can be a loss of effectiveness. You pay a lot for truly good probiotics so you want them to be at their best when you take them.

And, yes, you want them in the Billions, not millions.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor
On 1/11/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

So, what's the recommended amount to take. How many billion?

If you shoot for a number like 30 billion, that number is a total of multiple items (see the top 5 items). You usually take one capsule per day.

Here is info on Theralac (that I take):

What's inside Theralac®?

Five Probiotic Strains:

• Lactobacillus acidophilus – 10 billion CFU (Strain LA-1)
  • Lactobacillus paracasei – 5 billion CFU (Strain LPC-37)
  • Lactobacillus rhamnosus – 2 billion CFU (Strain LR-32)
  • Bifidobacterium lactis – 10 billion CFU (Strain BL-04)
  • Bifidobacterium lactis – 3 billion CFU (Strain Bi-07)

Other ingredients in Theralac®:

• Microcrystalline Cellulose – A food-grade, plant cellulose used to standardize the probiotic strength.
  • Sodium Alginate – Provides protection from stomach acid and is a probiotic-preferred source of prebiotic fiber (Protected by 2 US Patents)[1].
  • HPMC (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose) – A derivative of plant cellulose which comprises the capsules.
  • Tri-Sodium Phosphate – Food grade buffer that assures proper pH control.
  • Magnesium Stearate – It is used to fill the capsules and ensures a uniform mixture of all ingredients. A pharmaceutical grade, vegetable source is used in Theralac®. Magnesium Stearate has been safely used in capsules and tablets for over 75 years.
  • Silicon Dioxide – Reduces moisture and improves shelf life. Silicon dioxide, or silica for short, is a micronutrient in human nutrition; a food grade source is used in Theralac®.
  • Calcium Silicate – Anti-caking agent.
  • Ascorbic Acid – Antioxidant.
  • LactoStim® (Sunflower Lecithin and Oleic Acid) – Our patented prebiotic. LactoStim® stimulates probiotic growth by providing a food source to the probiotics as soon as they arrive in your digestive tract. Only food grade Lecithin and Oleic Acid are used in Theralac® (Protected by 5 US Patents)[2].

Theralac® contains no: milk, eggs, gluten, wheat, soy, casein, nuts, seafood, or beef products.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor
On 1/11/2015 sidsmom said:

Super Contributor
Another Culturelle here!! I've been using this brand for years and really like it! You can find it at Costco as well!
Trusted Contributor
On 1/11/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

So, what's the recommended amount to take. How many billion?

The Ultimate Flora I take for vaginal care is 50 billion.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation. I eat yogurt, but not always daily, so I could probably use a supplement.

Trusted Contributor
I don't know what IBS is but the probiotic I like just for general health must be refrigerated and is made by Natrin's Healthy Trinity. Can get it online or at The Vitamin Shoppe. Do not take it with tap water. Take it with bottled water. It might be the fluoride in tap water not good with it. I don't remember. I just take it with bottled.
Contributor

I've been taking Jarrow Formula, 5 Billion, from Whole Foods for years. They work well for me, but I think I'll try something different next time. Thanks for all of the good ideas!

Honored Contributor

Florastor! Love the product - hate the price! My gastroenterologist recommended that I take this one. Since I am on medications which I am worried about messing up my digestive system, etc., I do not want to take chances with other less expensive products. I have been taking this for ages and it is really a good product.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin