Super Contributor

Re: What is it with the GILI Roma II?

On 5/22/2014 terrier3 said:

RETURN IT while you can!

I kept trying to "train" my natural ostrich...it is still stiff as a board after 6 months.

Every time I look at it I am reminded how I fell for the hype.

It is NOT soft...the leather is NOT luxurious...it was a phenomenal sell job!!!!!

Do NOT exchange this for the ivory ostrich...it is stiff & fake looking.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have read some of your other comments regarding your natural ostrich Roma 2 and it seems you got the previous generation, not the "new and improved" Roma 2 that was recently the TSV. I just received mine a couple days ago in the natural ostrich, and it is truly a gorgeous bag. I never had one previously, so have nothing to compare it to, but the leather on mine is soft and luxurious and doesn't look fake whatsoever in my opinion. I have mine in "training" and while the leather is a bit stiff, it is still supple and there are absolutely no flaws in quality that I can find, and I examined it thoroughly. I have read where others suggested using mink oil on it to soften the leather and protect it, and I might do that once I break it in a little bit. I am also on wait list for the blush color, and while that was my first choice, I am seriously considering cancelling after reading some of the complaints about the blush. I think I can be content with just the natural ostrich, and then perhaps I'll try the blush another time. I'm still undecided on that issue, but the natural ostrich in this revised version is really lovely.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is it with the GILI Roma II?

On 5/23/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 5/22/2014 terrier3 said:

RETURN IT while you can!

I kept trying to "train" my natural ostrich...it is still stiff as a board after 6 months.

Every time I look at it I am reminded how I fell for the hype.

It is NOT soft...the leather is NOT luxurious...it was a phenomenal sell job!!!!!

Do NOT exchange this for the ivory ostrich...it is stiff & fake looking.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have read some of your other comments regarding your natural ostrich Roma 2 and it seems you got the previous generation, not the "new and improved" Roma 2 that was recently the TSV. I just received mine a couple days ago in the natural ostrich, and it is truly a gorgeous bag. I never had one previously, so have nothing to compare it to, but the leather on mine is soft and luxurious and doesn't look fake whatsoever in my opinion. I have mine in "training" and while the leather is a bit stiff, it is still supple and there are absolutely no flaws in quality that I can find, and I examined it thoroughly. I have read where others suggested using mink oil on it to soften the leather and protect it, and I might do that once I break it in a little bit. I am also on wait list for the blush color, and while that was my first choice, I am seriously considering cancelling after reading some of the complaints about the blush. I think I can be content with just the natural ostrich, and then perhaps I'll try the blush another time. I'm still undecided on that issue, but the natural ostrich in this revised version is really lovely.

I disagree as well, Jules. I have a 'previous generation' Roma medium in natural ostrich and it's a beautiful bag. In fact I'm carrying it now. It was a bit stiff when new, but has broken in and weathered nicely. It is a significant amount of very nice leather and there is nothing remotely cheap looking about this bag, even accounting for the whole 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' thing... Moreover, I recently obtained the new ivory ostrich Roma II and couldn't be happier with it. It's a gorgeous, sumptuous bag and again, not remotely cheap looking.

I'm a true bag junkie and have a range of handbag brands at many different price points, so feel as though I know my bags. These bags are clearly not multi-thousand dollar bags, but they are quite nice leather bags sold at what I consider to be an appropriate price point, and frankly, they probably could command a higher price than what most of us paid for them as TSV's.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...