Honored Contributor

For those who've sold or are selling homes

I know some of you are in the process of or have recently sold a home.

Did you come to accept that it was no longer a home but just a property?  Or did you, or do you, feel that you'd want to sell to someone who actually appreciated your home for what it is?  (This does not preclude or eliminate sprucing it up, painting, or whatever cosmetic fixes it might need.)

I'm looking for your emotional connections.  I know what agents say, and all of that.  Just to be clear, I'm not asking for sales advice, but how you might have felt about your own home when you sold.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: For those who've sold or are selling homes

I move on pretty quickly.

Once I've decided to sell and move on, I am not emotionally attached at all, for me it's a burden standing in the way of my  moving on.

I've moved many times.

If you haven't you may feel differently

@GingerPeach

Esteemed Contributor

You need to keep the emotions out of it for sure. All your personal mementos need to be packed away because  buyers need to see the home as potentially 'theirs' rather than someone else's. It's a tough thing to go through. 

Honored Contributor

We've bought and sold a house and a couple of apartments.  To me, a home is a roof over my head and whoever is willing to pay what I'm asking, the place is theirs.  We have friends who have a huge house and want to keep it in case the "kids" come back.  Good grief!!!

Honored Contributor

Interesting, @software

I had no attachment to leaving the home before this one, but my current home seems more personal.  It seems for me it depends on the home.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

We are currently in the process of selling our villa & buying a single family home. I truely don't have much feeling about this house one way or another. I'm much more emotionally attached to the new house.Right now this place is just a liability standing between us & our new home.

When we sold our Pa. house to move to Florida I was very emotionally torn.We had lived in that house since the day we got married.As much as we wanted to get away from the cold Pa. winters and move to Fl. it was very hard to leave the only place we had ever lived in together.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach I definitely have had emotional attachments to all of my homes. Of course, I have been able to move on, but not without some sadness. We are going to be listing our rental this spring. It's next door to us, and although I've never lived in the house, my husband's family has owned it for years. My dh is 67 and his family lived in the home when he was born. Sob.... I have grown very attached to this house, but we decided it was time to let go, so...........

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sold two houses ... no attachment to either one.  

For the first - anxious to get into new house and for the second, anxious to get away from California and come back to New York.

We priced them to sell and both sold quickly.

Honored Contributor

If it can't hug and kiss you back, it's a box, that makes it easier to let it go. Memories can't be taken from you, you'll always have those.

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean.

Our first house, I was more attached to the yard and hoped they would appreciate it.

The second house, I hoped someone would come who would appreciate the house and the pond but mostly take good care and love all the evergreens I planted.

I wanted to take them all with me!

Going back years later, the first house looked totally different. They had gotten rid of every plant and tree it seemed.

The second house I was so happy to see they had kept the yard  just as it had been so I know they loved it too!

I was happy to move where we were going each time though.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"