Respected Contributor

Re: For those who've sold or are selling homes

Selling time for me is in about 2 years & I've already started the process of letting go...I've lost my pension & my husband died so I just can't afford my home anymore. I look around & see all the projects my husband did to make this our home, the fun times we had with our kids & now my grandchildren so it's hard but it's got to be done. I love this place & it stinks that after working so hard it's come to this but that's the way it goes...I'll take my memories with me along with the big kick in the pants & get on with it. I don't think I'll care who buys it, I just want a buyer that is reasonable...at this point I have no idea how reasonable I'll be.

Respected Contributor

When we sold our first home I was so busy I didn’t have much time to think about it until we were walking out the door. I started to cry. My sister in law said come on lets go. As soon as we pulled away the new owners pulled up. We heard later that the man who owned the house murderd his wife’s boyfriend in my old kitchen. Our house now is home. It’s to big but we have decided to stay. It is an old fashioned house in the country. 

Trusted Contributor

Only the last home we sold, that I still feel a connection to!  I still occasionally look up photos of it online and it looks like she has kept it pretty much as I had it!!   Lots of memories in that home.  It was where my last pet lived and died, my son grew from a teen to a graduate and moved out and got his own place, I  retired from my job and enjoyed a few restful years there, etc. etc.  So, yes, I seem to be one of those who holds onto the memories of the house!

Honored Contributor

OMG, @Catiele!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

All your emotions on the page are so meaningful to me.  I can't thank you enough to know you'd share them and that I'm going through so many of the same.  Onward and forward!  Woman Very Happy

@123SuzyQ123 @Catiele @kitcat51 @Snicks1 @Regal Bee @software@Ibby114 @Azcowgirl @lork @godi @Allegheny

@itsmagic

@ccassaday @scatcat @on the bay  @qualitygal @ALRATIBA

@pattypeep  @151949 @kaydee50

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51, my heart is smiling for you, but also sad for you!  Could you possibly do some type of "reverse mortgage" or something to allow you to stay in your beloved home?    I've been in the same place as you, and I tell you this, you will be OK.  Sounds like you have fun with your grandkids, so they are a blessing to you.  Just know that so many of us know exactly how you feel!  Take care!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach-

You are so sweet to take the time to acknowledge all the many posters!

Such a thoughtful thing to doSmiley Happy

I guess we can "thank" and appreciate our former homes for the memories they gave us and hope that the new people will take care of it and enjoy it tooSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I completely understand what you are asking @GingerPeach.  We recently moved (last year) and up until the last second I wasn't sure we were doing the right thing, and I was very worried about who was going to buy the house, would they take care of it, would we regret leaving it, etc...

However, once we actually moved I never looked back.  It was the best decision we ever made.

Sometimes you just have to go for it.

Our first house on the other hand, I couldn't wait to move out of.

Honored Contributor

I think I know exactly what you mean, @faeriemoon.

My best decisions come when I get out of my own way!

Honored Contributor

Sold two homes.  More excited about the new home.  Sure I missed the old homes, but my emotional attachment moved to the new house with me.