Respected Contributor

Re: For those who've sold or are selling homes

@GingerPeach, the pic you shared is lovely. You're a romantic. Me too!

I truly understand how you feel about leaving your home, and when I recently sold my own big, old, rambling place, this is what helped me to walk away:

I rearranged my thinking, and realized that it really wasn't "my" home.

I'd only taken my turn within its walls.

It'd been other's turns before me, and there will be many more to come.

Good luck.  Heart

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

I did feel sad when I left our first home. We lived there 21 years, our son was brought home from the hospital there, he had a lot of first there. I buried 4 furbabies in our back garden and there was a lot of sentimental attachment but I let go and moved on. I love our new house and we are building new memories here. 

Honored Contributor

i am in the middle of helping my mom sell her "getaway" home. she will be going for settlement at the end of the month. wooohoooo all cash offer and no contingencies and no inspections! the place is really a beautiful showcase on the river.....immaculate.

she began removing some of her cherished personal items right when she decided to put it on the market. each week she removed more and more......and gave a few items away to us. i think she will miss it, but taking out those memories and items that she REALLY loved helped her.

she is now counting the days until she passes the keys along and not really thinking about missing her home away from home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein