Contributor

Re: Tell me about your dog - anything

Lots of dogs in my lifetime. First dog was a black standard poodle that was my mom's baby. She spoiled him rotten, he was her child, then she found out she was going to have me, I was not planned. My parents worried that he would not adapt to me, and they didn't know what to do. They brought me home from the hospital and let him lick me and smell me, and let him know I was no threat. They told me that from that first night on, he slept under my crib and protected me. He lived to be about 15, and I was nearly 7 when he died... he got attacked by another dog and his injuries were too much. He was my first dog, and he was so smart and loving... he saved us once when our home was on fire. He smelled smoke and jumped and barked and bothered my dad until he woke up. I was about 2 years old. My dad said, if it hadn't been for him, we would have all died.

So many sweet dogs in my life... they were all so special. I have a sweet little girl now that stumbled into my life. She is a total spaz sometimes, but she is so loving and she saved me. Right now she is asleep at my feet, but earlier she was jumping on me and playing. We are lucky to have furbabies.

Honored Contributor

Our Australian kelpie smiles.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Bee, Have you ever done any herding with your kelpie? There is a sheep ranch in Mountainair owned and operated by a woman who raises border collies. They have AKC herding events in the summer. I took 3 of my dogs up there to be herding instinct tested and all of them, including Jett pictured above, got AKC HIC designation. It's awesome to see a pet suddenly evolve into an authoritarian herder.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

You sound like a DOGGIEPHILE!

Esteemed Contributor

One of my dogs is brindle, one black.

Trusted Contributor

My current dogs love to play tug with rope toys. They get a bit vocal and sound vicious at times but its all in fun and its their way of play. They love to ride in the car and they sense when I'm getting ready and I plan to take them. I've had many dogs because I'm crazy about dogs. All of my dogs have been rescues and over the years they all have gotten old and passed away but I've kept their ashes. Some find this morbid but its comforting to me.

Respected Contributor

On 8/7/2014 mewsmomtoo said:
Chance is my rescue Sheltie, I just got him 3 months ago. He is 2 and very sweet. He loves to cuddle but does not want a kiss on the head, he is getting it though and realizing a kiss on the head is not that bad. I still don't know how he ended up in a Shelter but in his 2 1/2 years, I am his 4th and final owner. The only thing I can figure out is he is vocal, like may Shelties but that is ok too. I love them all very much.

Hi Conlt, I'm so glad to hear that Chance is still doing well! He certainly was one lucky dog to find you - I bet he is thinking "At last, someone who understands me"!Smile

Thank you Mews, yes he is doing very well. He only has a few spots of dry skin left and they will eventually go away with the grooming he is getting. I talked to the Shelter lady finally and she told me that she picked him up at a shelter, then adopted him to a lady who brought him back but she does not know why, then a couple adopted him, then split up and brought him back, then to the girl that I got him from who could not take care of him. I am so glad that I have him, he is a real sweetheart. I don't know how a well behaved Dog like that ends up adopted 4 times but he did. He is never going anywhere. The shelter sent me paperwork so I can have his chip registered. They are not going to go after the girl who gave him to me legally. They are just glad he has a good home now. They know the girl lied to me about where he was from and I took him to avoid him going to a Shelter. At the time, I did not know he was from a Shelter, poor little guy.