Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stores asking you to donate To this or that charity at checkout

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I can't imagine that people give the cashiers a bad time about having asked them for a donation.   

I never have (it's not their fault, anyway, that they are required to ask), and I have never seen anybody else give them a hard time.

I've just always politely said 'no, thank you' and that's it.  

I so agree with you.  These poor cashiers don't like asking every single person, any more than we dislike hearing it.  At my Publix, they just say "would you care to donate to xxxxx?"  - I just politely say "no thanks, I did it yesterday".......They don't care - they are just doing their job.  I think some people just have too much time on their hands - have to complain about everything..... JMO

_

You appear to have just as much time on your hands as all the others who have commented......JMO.

Apparently, not as much as you do.......

Esteemed Contributor

I'd prefer they stop asking for donations.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like being put on the spot.  I don't donate.. I have my own places to give money to.  Some cashiers are more in your face than others, making me uncomfortable.  

Respected Contributor

I think the cashier is fine when I answer not today, they never pressure me! 

One ones asking in front of stores is a whole nether story! 

Honored Contributor

Ruh roh, it's getting all SCREAMY now, so I predict this going down soon.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, I don't know how I ended up in the middle of a back-and-forth, but all I was doing in my last post was commenting on a post I read where the poster 'felt sorry for the cashiers' because it was inferred that people who would rather not be solicited must be giving the cashiers a bad time.  I don't think people are.  I just think that it's a vent here, and not an attack on cashiers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Ruh roh, it's getting all SCREAMY now, so I predict this going down soon.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, I don't know how I ended up in the middle of a back-and-forth, but all I was doing in my last post was commenting on a post I read where the poster 'felt sorry for the cashiers' because it was inferred that people who would rather not be solicited must be giving the cashiers a bad time.  I don't think people are.  I just think that it's a vent here, and not an attack on cashiers.

I had no issue with *your* post, CB. You weren't being deliberately rude ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I realize they have to ask. But, when I say "No, thank you" leave it at that. I don't want badgered in front of other people that "it's for the kids" "it's only a dollar"

The guy in front of me in line, told the cashier, he was donating $1 to the Pa Lottery Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Moonchilde!  I think that somebody else put me in the middle and, maybe even, misinterpreted something I must have said.   

I just didn't want anybody to think that I was saying anything I didn't say.  Smiley Happy

As for the 'rude' of this board sometimes - man, it's like nobody can ever say anything without somebody ripping it apart or misinterpreting it or some negative thing.  It's a characteristic of this board that I've never experienced anywhere else in my years online and off.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

The stores want to say "WE (store) gave XXXX dollars to __charity!!!!!".  

In my experience, that's not how it's stated. They don't "take credit" for the money raised; rather, they often show (on a thermometer-type chart) how much has been raised in their particular store and how close they are to reaching their store goal. This is currently the case at my Costco, which is raising money for a local children's hospital. I gave $5 once and got a totebag as a thank you gift; the next time I was asked, I simply said, "Not today." As for the tax deduction, I don't think the store gets one for donating -- again, they are not the ones donating the money, and I would be VERY surprised if they were able to claim it as such on their taxes. Frankly, I'm not too worried about all of the $1 or less donations that I make for these types of things. I rounded up for "adaptive sports equipment" at Party City recently . . . for .19. I won't miss it, but it's not something I would worry about for tax purposes anyway.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Thanks, Moonchilde!  I think that somebody else put me in the middle and, maybe even, misinterpreted something I must have said.   

I just didn't want anybody to think that I was saying anything I didn't say.  Smiley Happy

As for the 'rude' of this board sometimes - man, it's like nobody can ever say anything without somebody ripping it apart or misinterpreting it or some negative thing.  It's a characteristic of this board that I've never experienced anywhere else in my years online and off.  

There are the deliberately rude, as we know 😜 but increasingly I see posts/posters who post the same way as they must speak IRL - absolutely NO filter. They thinks it, they says it, and have little actual concept of "rude" - like Sheldon in Big Bang Theory or those with Asperger's. Passive-aggressive, shoulder-shrugging rudeness that they must have...learned from others from a young age. Oh wow - yet *another* thing that's not their fault/not their problem. SMH.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all