Honored Contributor

Re: Stores asking you to donate To this or that charity at checkout

I am FAR more likely to donate to the "charity of the week", as it's becoming, if I have a simple, quick keypad choice and no one needs to mention or ask anything. Although I know it's my choice regardless, having the *silent* freedom to say yes or no with the touch of the screen makes me more inclined to give rather than less. Even though I can and do say no when asked aloud, the very idea of the social pressure being subtly brought to bear by the store just pitheth me off and makes me more inclined to refuse.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I say that I donate thru my work.

I have my own favorite charities.........and I like to have a cancelled check, anyway,  to make SURE they actually got my donation.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Even when asked or approached at the check-out when there are many people around, I simply say, "no."  If I'm exiting or entering a store, I don't make eye contact.  If it's a phone call, "not interested" and hang up.  I refuse to be intimidated into "giving" by this type of baloney.

Trusted Contributor

I have gotten used to these charity pitches. Lots of times I do donate a buck here and there. It really is pretty painless to contribute this way. Sometimes I just say, "not today," or "can't do it today, maybe another time."

Super Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I look at it like this, I'm lucky that I have  a basket of  items that I can afford, so a few bucks won't kill me. However, if I didn't want to. I would have no problem saying no.

This is exactly how I feel.  Where I live, this practice is most common at Marshalls/TJ Maxx, and I always feel like whatever I'm buying is a want and not a need, so, a dollar or two more for what usually seems to be a good cause is not an issue.

However, I do feel very strongly that people should be able to decide where they want to give (or not give) their money, and really shouldn't be "guilt tripped" into giving.  I agree that it is probably uncomfortable for some people who do decline.  I feel bad for the cashiers.  I'm sure most of them don't like having to ask.

It's really a tough call because fund raising isn't easy, and there are so many charities out there who really need the donations.  Although I agree that it would be best if the stores just had a sign up requesting donations, without directly asking for them, the reality is they would receive a lot less money if they did that.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I can't imagine that people give the cashiers a bad time about having asked them for a donation.   

I never have (it's not their fault, anyway, that they are required to ask), and I have never seen anybody else give them a hard time.

I've just always politely said 'no, thank you' and that's it.  

I so agree with you.  These poor cashiers don't like asking every single person, any more than we dislike hearing it.  At my Publix, they just say "would you care to donate to xxxxx?"  - I just politely say "no thanks, I did it yesterday".......They don't care - they are just doing their job.  I think some people just have too much time on their hands - have to complain about everything..... JMO

_

Esteemed Contributor

Just say "NO".  That's all. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I can't imagine that people give the cashiers a bad time about having asked them for a donation.   

I never have (it's not their fault, anyway, that they are required to ask), and I have never seen anybody else give them a hard time.

I've just always politely said 'no, thank you' and that's it.  

I so agree with you.  These poor cashiers don't like asking every single person, any more than we dislike hearing it.  At my Publix, they just say "would you care to donate to xxxxx?"  - I just politely say "no thanks, I did it yesterday".......They don't care - they are just doing their job.  I think some people just have too much time on their hands - have to complain about everything..... JMO

_

You appear to have just as much time on your hands as all the others who have commented......JMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

It doesn't bother me. I either say yes or no. I usually only round up at the grocery store and I will throw change or cash for MDA and Salvation Army. The other stores, I rarely say yes when getting gas which is another location that asks all the time.
I like the option of rounding up because it's less than a dollar at publix and it reminds me to give. I won't miss the money.
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I look at it like this, I'm lucky that I have  a basket of  items that I can afford, so a few bucks won't kill me. However, if I didn't want to. I would have no problem saying no.

I completely agree, I feel very lucky and I am very grateful every day for all the abundance in my life.  And I do give back whether -- monetary donations or by volunteering.