Trusted Contributor

Re: Stores asking you to donate To this or that charity at checkout

@Perkup wrote:

I think I'm an adult and capable of choosing my own charities.  We usually do a few small donations each year, but our wills are set to leave the majority of our assets to one charity in which we believe strongly, and where their CEO isn't a multi-millionairs thanks to contributions. 

I wish the stores would refrain from getting involved in charities  - other than maybe the food banks, where you can donate actual food in a box at the grocery - but I am sure they have charity repa knocking on their doors constantly for help.

That and the tax incentives.  Plus all the publicity for the money that you give, not necessarily the business, to the charity.

Trusted Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I took a sociology class years ago where they were talking about charities soliciting in a public setting and how it made people more inclined to donate because others were around and they would feel guilty saying no.

I guess there is this sociology theory that you contribute more when approached in a public setting to save face.

Personally, I just tell the checker that I have charities I contribute and that is all I can afford at this time.  I never feel pressured or embarrassed.  

Charity is a personal thing and no one should force it upon you.  I'm also sure the checkers hate having to ask.

Re affirms my theory of the tactics used to influence others behavior. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I say no.  I get my tax deductions for charities.  NOT the stores I shop with.  I'm not big on all these stores that increase their prices to donate millions to charities and get the deduction their clients deserve.  Small think I guess, but I decline to participate.

@Sooner

How do you know the stores get a tax deduction?

I can't find any mention of that, even on reports saying people don't like stores asking.

Of course they get deductions.  They would not be good business people if they did not take advantage of the charitable deductions clauses. They have teams of people that work on this.  One example, + u2+ Bono group.  Very big on tax issues with their mantra of everyone paying "their fair share" etc.  They incorporated in the Netherlands that give huge tax breaks for vocal groups. Dont believe me?  Look it up.