Respected Contributor

Re: Stores asking you to donate To this or that charity at checkout

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Do not get me wrong. I believe in donating and giving to a charity or cause I believe in...  and I do give when I choose to.....but today I felt angry almost at all the stores  The check out person verbally asking me to give when checking  me out.

One store wanted me to round my total to the next dollar for their program ....the next store asked if I would like to donate my change and give that to their charity....my last stop asked if I wanted to donate a dollar to their charity.....It seems as though it is getting worse and worse.

I mean COME ON!  Give me a break! I do not think stores should put customers on the spot  having the checker ASKING out loud if I I want to give ....and  I have to verbally say NO with other people listening.....it just bugs me!

Some grocery stores will just have the question pop up on the credit card scanner where you can put in your answer privately. I have no problem with that.

What Do You Think?

So say "no."  

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Wow, this turned into such a big discussion over a small annoyance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally agree, OP!  Once when the cashier asked me if I'd give money to some charity and I said no, the guy behind me said something like, "Oh, come on.  Give the money."  I wanted to whack him with my pocketbook.  He was loud and offensive.  I just said I give to charities already, which I don't to any degree, but I'd had enough of the two of them and figured that would end it.  I wonder whether they figure they get more money if they put people on the spot.  I give a bit of money to the Salvation Army bell-ringers at Christmas and that's it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I like that stores do this.

It generates millions for worthwhile causes, is strictly optional, easy to do, is usually a dollar or less and makes such a difference to the charities they are collecting for. It helps me to be more giving, because I often wouldn't even think of giving to some of the good causes I have been offered at the register.

I have no problem saying no when I want/need to, and don't care who hears me. I'm not embarrassed or uncomfortable.

I do feel for the cashiers that have to put up with customers who are unhappy about being asked.

@Mominohio  Have you ever asked how much  you donate actually goes to the people who they are supposedly helping?... Those dollars and change that seem like not much to ask for do add up and many of the so called charities are syphoning off a lot of the donations and giving very little. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just say No.

Who knows where all that money is really going.

Frequent Contributor

Around Christmas time I was at petco and they asked if I wanted to donate a stuffed animal for the dogs to play with I think it was 5 dollars so I said sure, well the cashier was making such a big deal about. She was thrilled me on the other hand was pretty humiliated I just wanted to pay and go home. A simple thank you would of done.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Do not get me wrong. I believe in donating and giving to a charity or cause I believe in...  and I do give when I choose to.....but today I felt angry almost at all the stores  The check out person verbally asking me to give when checking  me out.

One store wanted me to round my total to the next dollar for their program ....the next store asked if I would like to donate my change and give that to their charity....my last stop asked if I wanted to donate a dollar to their charity.....It seems as though it is getting worse and worse.

I mean COME ON!  Give me a break! I do not think stores should put customers on the spot  having the checker ASKING out loud if I I want to give ....and  I have to verbally say NO with other people listening.....it just bugs me!

Some grocery stores will just have the question pop up on the credit card scanner where you can put in your answer privately. I have no problem with that.

What Do You Think?

I haven't read through all the replies on this thread yet, but I'm not a fan of these requests either.

However, with rare exception, I just say no.  One day while in line, I could tell a couple of customers ahead of me felt uncomfortable saying no.  When it was my turn, I said "Not today, thanks."  I had to laugh when I heard the next two customers after me say "not today, thanks" as they were asked.

They must've decided if it was good enough for me to say, it was good enough for them!

I no longer feel pressured into giving any donation that I don't want to give willingly.  That defeats the whole purpose of charity IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I can recall purchasing several items at a really reduced price at a Coldwater Creek sale when they had stores.  The cashier asked me in front of other customers if I wanted to donate to whatever charity they were collecting for and I declined.  The cashier actually said this to me "You just saved  xxx dollars on these clothes and you don't want to donate a dollar?"  I was horrified and humiliated.  Believe me as soon as I got home I e mailed Coldwater creek and told them about what happened.  I did get a apology letter and a $25.00 gift card from them.

Honored Contributor

I hate it, hate it hate it.  If I can I walk the other way, I do!!!.  I donate great deals of money to my favorite charities .as well as tithe.Not to mention all the grandkids fund raisers for school, sports and what ever.  I hate the way stores  intimidate people to donate.  And if it is a store I frequent, I have been asked 4 or 5 times alread,y and I may have already donated.  They need to stop.

I would prefer to give the dollar, or 2 dollars to a needy guy on the street for booze.  Seriously, I mean that

Esteemed Contributor

I really like being asked to round up my purchases for St. Judes, our Food Bank, Breast Cancer or whatever charity. It's easy and all of that $ adds up when multiplied by all of their stores makes for a sizeable contribution.

I don't see how asking if you want to donate is intimidating. You either do or ya don't.