Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I tip?

[ Edited ]

Delivery people are probably minimum wage jobs. They are working in the worst weather and some difficult conditions (i.e. heavy lifting, stairs, crowded spaces, traffic and parking issues, dogs, and often unhappy customers). I always tip each person and offer something to quench their thirst (cold water in summer; coffee in winter) and if I've baked something, I offer that also. Would imagine delivery positions are a thankless job and every unexpected amount is appreciated.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It would not even occur to me to tip a furniture delivery person.  People in the Northeast seem to tip everyone for everything.  In the rest of the country, we're not so generous, only if the worker goes above and beyond what's expected.

Speak for your area.  I'm in Texas and I don't know anyone who DOESN'T tip for deliveries of any kind. 

Honored Contributor

Do whatever you want to do but I don't tip delivery guys unless they go above and beyond their job.  They aren't service workers.

Honored Contributor

Why not give them say $10 each and say go have lunch on me or such.  These people work very hard and do not make much. It just might make their day!

Respected Contributor

I would definitely tip them, unless they are rude and don't do a good job.  If it's just a mattress, probably about $5 each.  More if they are doing a lot of unpacking or moving of furniture.  It's a hard job, and as others have written, they have a lot of responsibilty with the furniture and taking care of the things in your house.

Respected Contributor

I usually tip delivery people too.  They are appreciative.

i recently had a lot of construction materials hauled away.  Two guys worked hard in the heat to get it done and I tipped them too. Also tip hotel maids and almost anyone who does me a service,

I guess I’m a tipper at heart.

Honored Contributor

I would tip. I tip everyone, repairmen, cable guys, delivery men. I feel they work hard and they always appreciate the money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a generous tipper, and think the convenience of delivery is worth a tip!  If the wage is too low, and there arent good tips its going to discourage people from taking those jobs, and then it will be difficult to find places that deliver.

If its a pizza delivery and when their website says---tips to drivers are appreciated, your delivery fee does not go to the driver--thats a hint-- they arent paying the delivery guys much)

Also I had a couple situations where I sprained my hamstring and another when I had bronchitis, so I had my groceries delivered.....I tipped generously because they had to make several trips and carried up heavy things--large containers  of cat litter, gigantic bag of cat food, laundry soap and other heavy items....and it was hot those days too...And again the website said, tip is optional, and that the delivery charge does not go to the driver......(read the comments the drivers made on the website for Instacart and Shipt saying that the wage wasnt fair, especially when they might be going to an apartment on the third floor in a 100 degree day and there was little to no tip either).

When I bought a new TV and had it delivered, I gave them an extra tip since they agreed to haul off my old TV  too. I was going to have to pay $100 to have a junk company dispose of my old TV, the right way for electronics...but the store said they included it in the $35 delivery charge, so even with a $20 tip it was still much less than what I would pay...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chihuahuamom

I guess I'm a dope because I tip the guys loading mulch into my pickup!  

Also, I  normally tip for the type of service you area having done.  If they had to navigate steps, etc. and were pleasant, probably $5 - $10 each.

If they were rude and just dropped the thing.  I would just offer water.

I just had a young guy with Mosquito Joe come in to spray my yard for the first time.  He added on tick control for no charge.

I tipped him $10.

My thinking is, they normally are hard working folks doing unpleasant work.  It makes me feel better to offer a tip.

Oh, and I used to work as a waitress and know how crappy it feels to serve a big table, lots of food, mess and cranky people and get $2 for my effort.

So, yea, I tip.

Esteemed Contributor

This came at a perfect time.  Having a sink delivered today and wondering if I should tip.  Window for delivery was 8 - 12.  He called at 12:15 to say he "should" be here in an hour.  This is after I called the company to see if he was running late or if it was being re-scheduled.