[ Edited ]

I tip anyone who delivers something to my home.........FOR EXAMPLE

Pizza/Chinese delivery $5 

Mattress, etc $20 per person

ETA .........I don't tip UPS & FEDEX  on a per delivery basis. They each get 

$100 at Christmas .

Valued Contributor

If it's hot where you live (and you don't tip),  

I would give them each a bottle of cold water.

And maybe extra for the road.

Esteemed Contributor

No. I think tipping everybody for everything has gotten out of hand. Definitely no in this case.

Honored Contributor

I would tip delivery people; even though they are paid it is probably not much and it is work to haul furniture in.   So even $5 each I'm sure is appreciated.

We also know our maintenance providers and always ask before they arrive if they would like some coffee (we do early appointments).  We do not tip because they are the owners of their own companies.

Always have bottles of cold water; it's hot down here!!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Should I tip?

[ Edited ]

@chihuahuamom

I work in that profession (delivery department but not delivering myself) so I see this issue from both sides.

Yes, they get a wage but often it is not a lot. They work very, very hard in the worst weather conditions. They have a ton of responsibility between safety, the truck, the merchandise, your home, traffic, dogs, other drivers etc.

You may or may not be paying for delivery but either way - that goes to the company to help off set the costs of the truck, fuel (HUGE expense), tolls etc.

So, yes - please tip if you can - if they do a good job. They have families to support too. I know our guys/girls appreciate a tip & a bottle or two of water or pop tremendously. 

Valued Contributor

I don’t think it is required in this case but if you possibly can, I would encourage you to tip. The bottle of water is a great idea too, alone or with some cash. People in these jobs receive very little pay and the toll on their bodies will continue for the rest of their lives. When you live paycheck to paycheck, even $5 can make a difference.

Above all, I think it is important to make every person feel seen and often they go through a day feeling invisible, because, sadly,  they are to many members of our society.

Respected Contributor

I always tip.  I would feel rude if I didn't.

Honored Contributor

yes, i would......probably ten dollars each and some cold water or soda, especially if it is hot out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I guess it would be dependent upon whether they just plop the mattress on the floor or if they set everything up.

If stairs are involved, I would give each of them a ten and ask them if they would like a beverage for the road.

Honored Contributor

It would not even occur to me to tip a furniture delivery person.  People in the Northeast seem to tip everyone for everything.  In the rest of the country, we're not so generous, only if the worker goes above and beyond what's expected.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment