Respected Contributor

When I moved here a year ago I needed a new mattress and I paid for delivery. If I pay for delivery I don't tip but I'm now in a one story home - zero steps.  

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It would not even occur to me to tip a furniture delivery person.  People in the Northeast seem to tip everyone for everything.  In the rest of the country, we're not so generous, only if the worker goes above and beyond what's expected.

Speak for your area.  I'm in Texas and I don't know anyone who DOESN'T tip for deliveries of any kind. 

@santorini.   Speaking for myself, I lived in Texas almost 35 years and in my experience people did not tip delivery people.  By the way, did you know that the average full-time UPS driver makes about $75,000/year?  Read that last night in an article about contract negotiations between UPS and their union.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

In some situations (pizza delivery, valet parking, cab driver, restaurants), I automatically tip.  In others, I may or may not tip, depending on the difficulty of what they have to do, level of service, etc.

And I always tip more for those who I feel are deserving.  Overall it usually isn't a lot of money, so I have no problem tipping regularly.  My son has worked in the restaurant business for a long time.  He owns restaurants now, but I remember when he worked hard for tips, so I always like to be as generous as I can to those who provide good service in all walks of life.

Trusted Contributor

@Danky wrote:

I tip anyone who delivers something to my home.........FOR EXAMPLE

Pizza/Chinese delivery $5 

Mattress, etc $20 per person 

ETA .........I don't tip UPS & FEDEX  on a per delivery basis. They each get 

$100 at Christmas .

Wow, you are generous.  I could never bring myself to tip $100 to UPS or Fedex and I thought they weren't allowed to take monetary gifts.  I tip pizza del $3 and if it's super fast $5.  Mattress del I think I would be compelled to tip $20.  

Respected Contributor

If they brought it in and set it up for me, I would tip.  If they just dropped it off on the porch, I would not. 

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I usually tip delivery people too.  They are appreciative.

i recently had a lot of construction materials hauled away.  Two guys worked hard in the heat to get it done and I tipped them too. Also tip hotel maids and almost anyone who does me a service,

I guess I’m a tipper at heart.

@ Montana  That is so nice. And yes, they do appreciate it and will always remember you.