Trusted Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

This came at a perfect time.  Having a sink delivered today and wondering if I should tip.  Window for delivery was 8 - 12.  He called at 12:15 to say he "should" be here in an hour.  This is after I called the company to see if he was running late or if it was being re-scheduled. 

@Wsmom Are they installing the sink or just a delivery service.  I think there's a difference between delivering a pizza, groceries or a mattress and a skilled laborer coming over to install a major appliance.  Delivery people usually don't make much money and often depend on tips.  This person probably makes a good salary and does not expect a tip.

Esteemed Contributor

@TenderMercies, just delivering.   Dropping off a box, so to speak.  

Honored Contributor

I tip for certain things.  I've had a few deliveries for appliances, but didn't think about tipping.

I had a sofa delivered from Macy's that was just a head scratcher and actually got my money back for the delivery.

I get a message they are 2 hours late, then they show up basically on time anyway.  They come to the door and hand me a sheet of paper with their with their white glove delivery guarantee.  It is a laundry list of every thing they do when they deliver furniture:  dust, vacuum, remove all packing materials, it goes on and on.  They didn't do any of that.

I had to force them to screw the legs on the sofa!  They were trying to tell me that was extra.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Yes

Honored Contributor

when we had our mattress delivered 3 yrs ago. we were told my the place who sold us the mattress not to tip. so don't know if is a rule.

Esteemed Contributor

I never tip when something big & costly is delivered.I paid enough for the item.Also in my experience the delivery people are never too friendly.

Just last week a big heavy box containing the parts for a tv console was delivered.The guys wanted to leave it in front of my front door.I insisted that they put it inside the entrance of my home per the wording on my receipt.I refused to sign for it until they did.At first they said no.I told them that  I refuse to accept delivery & to return the box to the vendor.They finally lifted it & placed it inside.

As they were walking away one of them said “Thanks for the tip”. I called the vendor & complained.They apologized & sent me a $50 gift card.The delivery service is one of several independent services they use.The c.s. person said he would notify his supervisor & they would likely be removed from the list.

Trusted Contributor

I always tip. Always. Whether it's a pizza or a mattress, an elliptical or a treadmill, I always tip the people. 

Respected Contributor

Last time I had a similar situation it was for delivery of a new dishwasher.  My old one was possessed by a demon, I think.  It was only five years old, had had a major repair at age 2, and by age 5 sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, and finally went totally off line.

Got a new one on sale at Lowes, big delivery charge.  I don't usually tip if I am already paying delivery.  So the two guys came in with the new one, but then it took _two full hours_ to get the old one out.  It didn't want to go.  Evil.

They finally took it apart with a chain saw.  They complained and worried aloud and tore their hair out; but they kept at it, and by the time I saw them taking away the pieces of that awful appliance, I gave them each $20. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Should I tip?

[ Edited ]

I tip most everyone. I want to, not because they expect it.  Occasionally I've tried to hand a tip to people helping me with something and they wouldn't take it. They said they weren't allowed to or said they appreciated the offer but didn't expect or want a tip. Someone being obnoxious to me is another story. 

@NicksmomESQ, I think you did the right thing.

Honored Contributor

I tip just about everyone that does a service for me. I tip my two sanitation workers at Christmas, they always put my pail in my gate, on a windy day it saves me the trouble of running down my pail! I just think workers appreciate the money.