Respected Contributor

Re: Ridgecrest just had a 7.1 quake

We felt the 7.1 last night here in LV.   Sitting on our patio, the chairs we were in started to feel like they were vibrating and dh and I just looked at each other before it clicked as to what was going on.  

Trusted Contributor

@MarnieRez3 - Hi fellow Californian.  Yes, I remember the Northridge earthquake very well.  We're in Simi Valley (Ventura County) and it very scary.  Closets opened up and clothes flew out in my dtr's room.  Our block wall in the backyard crumbled and had to be replaced.  The scariest part of it was my parents lived in Sherman Oaks and their apt. building was severely damaged and was red tagged (unlivable).  My Mother fell over (in the dark) the TV that had fallen over and had 60 stitches in her leg.  We couldn't reach them as we had no phone (land line) or cell service.  They slept in their car.  My husband's business partner was worried about them and was closeby so he went over.  Her took my Mom and Dad to the emergency room and then to his house for the next night.  Finally we were able to get to them and we brought them to our house.  They lived with us for 8 months and I insisted they move to Simi,which they did.

My husband and I lived in Encino when the 1971 Sylmar quake heppened.  It was my first quake and I was so scared.  It's bad enough to go through the initial shock but it's not knowing if it's the strongest one or if another stronger one is coming.  The aftershocks are nerve racking.  Hope all our So. Cal neighbors are holding up.  Needless to say, we felt the recent quakes very strongly.  We're praying for our Ridgecrest/Trona/China Lake neighbors.  

Trusted Contributor

@NAES1: I called my oldest sister cell-to-cell, while preparing dinner. This time her cell signal was so spotty that she had to call me back by her landline. Otherwise all there is about the same. Still feeling tremors only.

Got me to thinking, so I looked up outages by her carrier's name (T-Mobile) in S.B., CA. There have been many! See here: 

July 06: Problems at T-Mobile

image.jpg

"T-Mobile is having issues since 03:20 PM EST in zip code areas 93101 to 93190."

Looks about the same for AT&T - my other sister's carrier who has gone to her husband's family home with her family, north to Monterey through tomorrow. I don't want to disturb her until she gets home. They have 3 children and the dog to comfort. 

If you're still waiting, it could be that your son couldn't receive your texts, or return them. One thing you can do, if you know his cell phone carrier's name is look it up online for outages or very heavy traffic. Xfinity, Sprint, Ting, Pure Talk, T-Mobile, Republic, Tello, Verizon, Pix, AT&T, Twigby, etc. This might give you some peace of mind until you hear from him. 💞

Esteemed Contributor

@Q-Anu wrote:

@NAES1: I called my oldest sister cell-to-cell, while preparing dinner. This time her cell signal was so spotty that she had to call me back by her landline. Otherwise all there is about the same. Still feeling tremors only.

Got me to thinking, so I looked up outages by her carrier's name (T-Mobile) in S.B., CA. There have been many! See here: 

July 06: Problems at T-Mobile

image.jpg

"T-Mobile is having issues since 03:20 PM EST in zip code areas 93101 to 93190."

Looks about the same for AT&T - my other sister's carrier who has gone to her husband's family home with her family, north to Monterey through tomorrow. I don't want to disturb her until she gets home. They have 3 children and the dog to comfort. 

If you're still waiting, it could be that your son couldn't receive your texts, or return them. One thing you can do, if you know his cell phone carrier's name is look it up online for outages or very heavy traffic. Xfinity, Sprint, Ting, Pure Talk, T-Mobile, Republic, Tello, Verizon, Pix, AT&T, Twigby, etc. This might give you some peace of mind until you hear from him. 💞

@Q-Anu , thank YOU so very much...we will try that. Cell phone CARRIER's name to look for now. okay, that's some relief. Something is very strange.

It's Verizon!

He would have access to anything, by 'any' means possible.  We wait. 

@lulutoby  and @Puddles , also.  Heart Heart Heart

@Q-Anu , THANK you, again.  I believe that may be the problem..... Would you think a Land Line would be more sufficient? 

NAES  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Flatbush wrote:

I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles, (South Bay ) and felt a rolling movement. It lasted for a long time, 30 seconds more or less. No damages that I can see. I have been through a lot worse, so I don't panic any more. We have been fortunate, never experienced any real losses. I'm sorry for all those in harm's way.

@Flatbush   I thought by your nic you were in Brookyn, NY!  We have a few posters here who are.  I used to live in Brooklyn but I'm in Bucks Co, Pa now.

Glad to hear you nave no damages.

Hoping for everyone in Ca for the best!

@haddon9  I am now living in California and have been for a long time, but I will always miss Flatbush and Brooklyn, N.Y. Do you still miss Brooklyn?

Honored Contributor

When you are talking about a 7.1 that is a pretty big quake.  It's enough to cause a lot of damage especially right at the epicenter.  Roads will split apart large enough that a car can fit in.  I have personally experienced a 7.1 in San Francisco years ago and it was very scary.  No electricity for 3 days in my area.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

You're so very welcome, @NAES1. I know I would be beside myself with concern were it one of my children that I couldn't reach after an earthquake. Your son is an adult, and well traveled, so he probably knows exactly how to prepare and keep himself safe. Still we parents naturally worry! 

Verizon - that should be an easy one to find. Search by that name and "outages" by date. I hope and pray that's all preventing him from contacting you, since he is usually so prompt. 

Yes, unless the actual telephone lines are down, due to the quake, landline phones are more reliable - on his end.

My sister didn't mention any phone or electric lines down in her area. No fires either. Those that we see on the news, and the highway damage, occurred much closer to the epicenters of both quakes. Ridgecrest and Kern County. Even though they were 'felt' more than 170 miles away. No deaths have been reported, TG. 🙏

Trusted Contributor

@WORKING GAL
Hello, dear Californian neighbor. Wow, what an incredibly frightening story from the Northridge quake. 60 stiches for your Mother? That is so scary. You have really been through it. Thank God both your parents were okay. Falling in the dark is one of the many horrible things that can happen post-quake.
Simi Valley is such a beautiful area...I have visited the Reagan library and a few years ago, my family and I went to a wedding in Simi Valley. You have so much open land and stunning vistas! We are north of SF...crowded and way too expensive.
Stay safe, my friend. You already have too much earthquake experience. Enough! ♥️
Trusted Contributor

@NAES1
Did you hear from your son? Please keep us posted...I understand your concern and worry. This is such an unnerving time.

The experts always say we should all have a contact OUTSIDE California where our family members call and "check in" as soon as they can after an earthquake. (The assumption is that post-quake, it will be easier to make an out-of-state call than a local call, since cell networks get overloaded with Californians looking for fellow Californians.) We have never set-up a designated out-of-state contact, but I know we should.
Complacency and laziness on my part, AGAIN! :-(

@SuZyQ
Lolol...yes! Love those little HALO oranges. They are so sweet and tasty. You are funny!

@Tyak
I heard on the news that the 7.1 was actually geographically closer to Las Vegas than Los Angeles. Stay safe!

@Flatbush
I have read and enjoyed your posts here forever...you had me fooled...I thought you were IN New York. Howdy, Californian neighbor! 🙋‍♀️
Trusted Contributor

@Q-Anu
What a thoughtful and compassionate person you are! I salute your kindness and worry for @NAES1.
Thank you for being so nice! The world needs more people like you. ♥️