Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ridgecrest just had a 7.1 quake

@Q-Anu wrote:

Prayers for all in harm’s way! 🙏🏻

I still have two sisters living in my old home town of Santa Barbara. (Our parents recently moved away.) They both mildly felt the 6.4, but this latest 7.1 really rocked and rolled them. No injuries, TG or severe property damages either. They have electricity.

My oldest sister's boutique had items falling from shelves, and the clothing was swinging on their hangers. She managed to get outside, thinking the flooring and concrete below might crack open. She is still a bit dizzy today.

Youngest sister at home had the windows rattling, pictures on the wall tilted and her chandelier was swaying. Outside, her husband saw the pool making waves, before they bounced out. Their dog out there was terrified and hid below one of their vehicles. 

I hope there will only be lessoning after-shocks now, and these aren't pre-cursors to larger quakes along these two fault lines. 

@Q-Anu , 

Are your sisters, now, feeling a bit more safe?

Do you hear anything that sisters' electricity is STILL on?  Our son was -(?) is in Santa Barbara... We are not receiving any word from as of this moment. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  Oh no!  I was hoping that was the cause so we could avoid "the big one" for as long as possible!

Oh well, no shaking today, but still a little nervous. 

And I thought Lucy Jones was retiring a few years ago....it was comforting to see her on TV on the 4th....I hope she never retires, she is the familiar face that we need to see everytime we have an earthquake.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@Q-Anu wrote:

I still have two sisters living in my old home town of Santa Barbara. (Our parents recently moved away.) They both mildly felt the 6.4, but this latest 7.1 really rocked and rolled them. No injuries, TG or severe property damages either. They have electricity.

My oldest sister's boutique had items falling from shelves, and the clothing was swinging on their hangers. She managed to get outside, thinking the flooring and concrete below might crack open. She is still a bit dizzy today.

Youngest sister at home had the windows rattling, pictures on the wall tilted and her chandelier was swaying. Outside, her husband saw the pool making waves, before they bounced out. Their dog out there was terrified and hid below one of their vehicles. 

I hope there will only be lessoning after-shocks now, and these aren't pre-cursors to larger quakes along these two fault lines. 

@Q-Anu , 

Do you hear anything that sisters' electricity is STILL on?  Our son was -(?) is in Santa Barbara... We are not receiving any word from as of this moment. 

Hi, @NAES1 - I spoke to them both by phone last night and earlier today by FaceTime. They're still safe and have electricity, phone signals and can text. My youngest niece texted me to say she wants to move out here (TX). It rattled her a lot. 😟 The adults remain a little scared that larger quakes could follow, despite what most experts say. Just unnerving - the thought of the possibility. So far, they are only feeling some of the after-shocks. 

I pray your son is okay and contacts you soon. If he is yet in Santa Barbara, he should be fine, but perhaps lost his cell signal. I know it's worrying and I feel for you - one mother to another. 🙏🏻

Esteemed Contributor

@Q-Anu wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@Q-Anu wrote:

@Q-Anu , 

Hi, @NAES1 - I spoke to them both by phone last night and earlier today by FaceTime. They're still safe and have electricity, phone signals and can text. My youngest niece texted me to say she wants to move out here (TX). It rattled her a lot. 😟 The adults remain a little scared that larger quakes could follow, despite what most experts say. Just unnerving - the thought of the possibility. So far, they are only feeling some of the after-shocks. 

I pray your son is okay and contacts you soon. If he is yet in Santa Barbara, he should be fine, but perhaps lost his cell signal. I know it's worrying and I feel for you - one mother to another. 🙏🏻

My husband and I are texting to him over & over- so far nothing. He is there on business / his profession. We know ZERO about Earthquakes.

THANK YOU SO VERY Heart MUCH. I'll let you know, along with another wonderful friend, waiting. 

@Q-Anu  

Honored Contributor

My favorite radio sports station, 1310 The Ticket,

(👈👈See Avator)

packs up the whole station & broadcasts out in Oxnard

for 2 weeks for Dalla Cowboys Training Camp...and they’re

getting a little skiddish.  Should make for good broadcasting

but I’m sure glad it’s them out there & not me!!

Trusted Contributor

@NAES1 - yes, do let us know when you hear from your dear son. I said a prayer for his safety. I'll call my sisters again tonight. 

It's too bad that you can't try to contact your son through his professional phone number. Leave a message with someone there. Maybe he is just very busy with work. My husband travels internationally all the time for work. When he's in meetings, I can only text him.... and wait until he can call me back. I know how it is! Like waiting to exhale. 

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3
@CAcableGirl2

Dr. Lucy Jones really is a national treasure and so incredibly smart...I agree with you both. Her presence makes me calm.
Do either of you remember during the Northridge? earthquake when she gave an emergency press conference holding her baby daughter? She felt the shaking, grabbed her daughter and headed straight to work. Talk about dedication...
I believe she left the US Geological Service, but she still works at Cal Tech.
Sending lots of ♥️ to our neighbors in SoCal who post on this forum. We are north of San Francisco and have felt none of the shaking. We are praying for you, Kern County.
I had no idea there were so many posters on this board who live in California. It has been said over and over on the local news coverage, but this IS a great time to stock up on fresh water, batteries, non-perishable food, etc.
Also make sure you know how to turn off the gas in your home or apartment. Keep your car gas tank full and keep some emergency cash in your car AND in your at-home earthquake kit.
Stay safe everyone!
Be prepared!
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@suzyQ3
@CAcableGirl2

Dr. Lucy Jones really is a national treasure and so incredibly smart...I agree with you both. Her presence makes me calm.
Do either of you remember during the Northridge? earthquake when she gave an emergency press conference holding her baby daughter? She felt the shaking, grabbed her daughter and headed straight to work. Talk about dedication...
I believe she left the US Geological Service, but she still works at Cal Tech.
Sending lots of ♥️ to our neighbors in SoCal who post on this forum. We are north of San Francisco and have felt none of the shaking. We are praying for you, Kern County.
I had no idea there were so many posters on this board who live in California. It has been said over and over on the local news coverage, but this IS a great time to stock up on fresh water, batteries, non-perishable food, etc.
Also make sure you know how to turn off the gas in your home or apartment. Keep your car gas tank full and keep some emergency cash in your car AND in your at-home earthquake kit.
Stay safe everyone!
Be prepared!

@MarnieRez3, just a bit of trivia: Lucy is a first cousin to one of my husband's close friends. Whoop-di-do, eh?

Another piece of advice if you have a garage door opener is to move your car out as soon as possible.

Oh, and for the umpteenth time, I asked my husband how to turn the gas off. Smiley Happy

We really need to get rid of our very old stash of water and replace it. And I guess we should have some other stuff. We're very bad about this.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3

That's so cool! What a small world...you are six degrees away from Dr. Lucy! Love it. ♥️
Oh yes, I know, my friend, we all get complacent about earthquake preparedness. No shame in that...it's out of sight, out of mind.
I'm California born and raised, so an earthquake kit in my car and my kids' cars is routine for us. BUT I rarely replace the batteries or the canned food and the water, and that's just laziness on my part.
Today, I went out and got fresh supplies. The footage from Kern County was terrifying...and shook me out of my complacency.
I never thought about getting the car out of the garage right away...very smart and an excellent tip! Thank you.
Do you remember they used to tell us to fill the bathtub with water immediately after the quake so you will have available water?
And...I hope I remember to grab my HALO portable car charger out of my trunk when I move the car because that can be a good emergency power source. Come to think of it...I better make sure the HALO is fully charged...!!!
Stay safe, lovely.
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@suzyQ3

That's so cool! What a small world...you are six degrees away from Dr. Lucy! Love it. ♥️
Oh yes, I know, my friend, we all get complacent about earthquake preparedness. No shame in that...it's out of sight, out of mind.
I'm California born and raised, so an earthquake kit in my car and my kids' cars is routine for us. BUT I rarely replace the batteries or the canned food and the water, and that's just laziness on my part.
Today, I went out and got fresh supplies. The footage from Kern County was terrifying...and shook me out of my complacency.
I never thought about getting the car out of the garage right away...very smart and an excellent tip! Thank you.
Do you remember they used to tell us to fill the bathtub with water immediately after the quake so you will have available water?
And...I hope I remember to grab my HALO portable car charger out of my trunk when I move the car because that can be a good emergency power source. Come to think of it...I better make sure the HALO is fully charged...!!!
Stay safe, lovely.

@MarnieRez3, I don't actually remember the bathtub trick, but it's great for then being able to flush the toilets.

We were just a few miles from the Northridge earthquake, and our neighbors came to to get water from our pool. BTW, we were very fortunate that we lived in West Hills and that our house was apparently on granite. We had no damage at all. Amazing for being so close to the action.

I saw "Halo" and just thought of those wonderful little clemetines. :-) I think I need help!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland