Respected Contributor

Re: Ridgecrest just had a 7.1 quake

Our kids think we are lunatics for keeping our land line .  But in emergencies, they are sometimes more reliable.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Our kids think we are lunatics for keeping our land line .  But in emergencies, they are sometimes more reliable.

i actually still have TWO landlines......one is used for personal calls and we have had that number for 35+ years. the other one is used for business and fax and we have had that number for 20+ years. not giving them up anytime soon. they are great to have so i dont give out my cell phone number.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3 

Dr. Lucy Jones is my rock when earthquakes happen. I am 51 years old but I grew up watching her on TV calming everyones nerves. I immediately look to hear from her after a quake. Extremely bright, If you could have heard her rattling of facts during the news conference on Friday night. Just WOW!! I remember years ago her giving a news conference and having her baby with her. 

I have seen some posts that have reminded me to do a few things. I actually already have an earthquake kit in my car, but I definitely need to refresh the emergency water supply at home, and remember to keep my gas tank at least 1/2 full for the next several weeks. 

Trusted Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@Q-Anu
What a thoughtful and compassionate person you are! I salute your kindness and worry for @NAES1.
Thank you for being so nice! The world needs more people like you. ♥️

Thank you, @MarnieRez3 - how kind you are - and informative, too! I think that coming together to help or support members during any crisis is what a community should be all about. The info you and others shared here is invaluable. The world needs more like you, too! ❤️

You'll be glad to hear that @NAES1 finally heard from her son by text late last night. (She notified me on another thread.) He had made his way clear to TX by then. So thankful he's okay, if a bit exhausted and shaken. 

My heart and prayers are with all in CA still dealing with disasters. I hope this 7.1 quake was the main event and things can soon return to normal. 🙏🏻  So grateful for no fatalities! 

Trusted Contributor

@Q-Anu

Thank you my dear for YOUR nice compliment...and thank you SO much for the update on @NAES1 's son. And...TG!! So happy he made it to Texas. She must be so relieved.
I thoroughly agree with you...the only silver lining in all these catastrophes is that neighbors help neighbors, and our better angels emerge. We all need each other, no matter where we live.

Sometimes when I get lonely or feel overwhelmed by life's stresses, I read the various wonderful and smart posters on these Q boards and I laugh, or cry, or learn something new from all the delightful men and women here. It comforts me. So many acts of kindness every day right in our little online community.

@icezeus

Yes! Agreed! All hail Dr. Lucy Jones. Earthquakes are so darn terrifying, and just seeing her speak so intelligently and so patiently is sooooo calming. I did see her press conference Friday night...she was absolutely brilliant. With no warning, and very little live data, she explained everything so clearly. She is The Best.

I just heard that the Ridgecrest/China Lake area is getting about one aftershock every MINUTE. Oh my, God Bless all the people in that area. Talk about frayed nerves. My heart is with all of them.
Frequent Contributor

My prayers for everyone. I didn't know we had so many Q posters there. Thank you for the updates. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @MarnieRez3 - thanks again! ❤️ You have such a lovely, clear way of expressing yourself. I couldn't agree more with your gracious words and sentiments. I know a lot about social media that is very bad - dangerous even... but the best part for me is the sharing of vital info, especially during such times as natural disasters. It has saved lives of both humans and animals. Second to that is giving emotional support, and of course prayers. “No man (or woman) is an island.” Yes, we all need each other! We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and experiences so it balances out.

There are sweet peeps all over these forums who are kind enough to share info on everything from shoe shopping and current sales to personal advice for those requesting it. If I weren’t working full time and still raising up our two children, I would have more time to contribute and enjoy. I'm happy to meet you and to know that you gain so much comfort and joy here on the community! I'm glad that QVC keeps these forums going since so many anonymous ones have shut down. It's often times easier for some to share certain subjects with “strangers” rather than family or personal friends. I think of every member as my Q- friend, rather I have “met” them yet, or perhaps disagree with some views. Just like in real life - no need for such harsh divisions. “Live and let live.”

That's just what I said... “Thank God” that @NAES1's dear son reached safety and was able to contact his parents at last. She was having some computer problems when she last notified me. Hope she can sort that out, and most of all, enjoy time with her son once he gets home and back on schedule. 

3 days now since anymore large quakes in CA. It's looking better by the moment for our families and friends there! I was born and raised in Santa Barbara. Didn’t move to TX until my husband was transferred here professionally. I didn’t want to move and leave the coast, my family and friends. Turned out that my own career really took off here, too. We certainly have our share of disasters and other problems here, too - as everywhere else. My time in S.B. was one of mainly peace. I so loved it there - right at the seashore. We typically had a few rumbles - tremors - some with odd booms. A couple of 3.5s to 4s - much smaller quakes than these. Dad kept us mindful and prepared, though. We all knew the history of the big one that wrecked the Mission, among others in the past. He and Mom recently moved - not due to quakes, so much as the recent wildfires that kept encroaching all around them. That and the ever-increasing cost of living, plus taxes. They are retired now, so have to budget more closely. 

Have a wonderful day - I'm sure so many here enjoy your posts as much as I do! I'll keep the prayers going for all those who lost their homes and are displaced. 🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

How is everyone doing with the aftershocks?  Has it all subsided?

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty :  They are still getting aftershocks about one every couple of minutes  (there will be many many tremors over the next couple of months to more than a year.

Honored Contributor

I am heading to Burbank this coming Sunday. I hope it just stays like it is!! Lol