Honored Contributor

Re: My simple solution re: traffic stops...

On 4/9/2015 physicsnut said:

When stopped, one should obey the officer and stay in the car unless he/she asks you to get out. Running away is usually a sign of guilt and nothing good usually comes from running away.

Shooting a fleeing man in the back multiple times is murder - that is why the cop was arrested. There is no excuse for that behavior.

BTW - It is illegal to search a car w/o a search warrant (unless there is cause - like the smell of weed/alcohol). People can't be stopped for a broken light and get their car and themselves searched for no reason.

This stop was an AA man driving a Mercedes...the brake light was the excuse to stop him.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read all the responses. Many times reading our local crime round-ups, the police have stopped someone for a minor offense and discovered; drugs, weapons, child-endangerment, stolen items, etc. Police officers develop a sixth sense-they can tell when someone is hiding something. Let them look-I don't mind.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Lila Belle said:

He was writing up the ticket.

Small towns especially use traffic stops as a cash cow.

Tickets are usually written to ensure that the infractions are repaired. People often have a certain number of days to rectify the situation. Once they can prove the repair was done the ticket is voided. I told a person at work weeks ago they had a brake light out, still not repaired. How would you ensure that the repairs are made since a persons word can not be trusted?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Mr. Scott was stopped in an auto parts parking lot. The cop could have just sent him in to purchase the bulb, but he didn't. It was a revenue stop, clear and simple, imo.

Respected Contributor

Mr. Scott was stopped in an auto parts parking lot. The cop could have just sent him in to purchase the bulb, but he didn't. It was a revenue stop, clear and simple, imo.

L.B. ~ No argument there from me. Again, you do not know the conversation that transpired. Leave it at that. This is a "what if" situation. We know the beginning and we know how it ended. What we don't know is what happened in the middle.

Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 terrier3 said:
On 4/9/2015 physicsnut said:

When stopped, one should obey the officer and stay in the car unless he/she asks you to get out. Running away is usually a sign of guilt and nothing good usually comes from running away.

Shooting a fleeing man in the back multiple times is murder - that is why the cop was arrested. There is no excuse for that behavior.

BTW - It is illegal to search a car w/o a search warrant (unless there is cause - like the smell of weed/alcohol). People can't be stopped for a broken light and get their car and themselves searched for no reason.

This stop was an AA man driving a Mercedes...the brake light was the excuse to stop him.

This man had outstanding warrants and the consequences for them would have been minuscule. At this early stage of the investigation, it does appear that excessive force has been used by the officer, but time will tell the entire story.

The victim fled, and perhaps did more before doing so, and therefore bears some responsibility in his own death. But based on the warrant, responsibility wasn't his thing.

Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Gooday said:

L.B. ~ No argument there from me. Again, you do not know the conversation that transpired. Leave it at that. This is a "what if" situation. We know the beginning and we know how it ended. What we don't know is what happened in the middle.

This is what I'm hoping will be made clear in the near future. There is video of the beginning and the end, but what happened in between, if anything?

Esteemed Contributor

Then we will just have to disagree, imo not that simple or clear.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 mominohio said:

This man had outstanding warrants and the consequences for them would have been minuscule. At this early stage of the investigation, it does appear that excessive force has been used by the officer, but time will tell the entire story.

The victim fled, and perhaps did more before doing so, and therefore bears some responsibility in his own death. But based on the warrant, responsibility wasn't his thing.

The man is being charged with murder.

The victim wasn't responsible for his death. It is against the law to shoot a fleeing man in the back.

What happened before wasn't the issue. The officer wasn't in danger of grave harm from a fleeing man.

Honored Contributor

The victim had a warrant regarding past due child support, hardly a threat to society.