Honored Contributor

I saw her earlier too and if that was a wig, she ought to go make another selection.  Its rare to see her with messy hair but today was her day. (It wasn't a wig)

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincesswrote:

@Annabellethecat66 How do you clean yours? Also I was getting my hair colored at Super cuts today and a lady came in with a wig and wanted it trimmed/cut but they would not. 

When I was wearing a wig while looking for a new stylist my experience was that no hair salon would trim my wig.  The reason they gave was that should they make a mistake or be accused of ruining the wig it could result in a law suit.  I guess in their eyes they are right and even though I was willing to sign a disclaimer they still would not do it. I was no longer living anywhere near the shop I bought the wig and once I stopped at a wig shop and asked if they could trim it and was told it would cost $45.00 to which I said no thank you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: My friend just asked me

[ Edited ]

I have learned to thin mine when needed or wear headbands to keep pouf to a minimum or change up the style.  Speaking of headbands, there is a website that sells the neatest one's I have ever seen.  You can wear them with your own hair or your wigs!  One of the best inventions ever, imo!!!  They are made like sunglasses and are so cute and comfortable.  No digging in like the old fashioned headbands.  If you're interested go to:

https://sqhairbands.com    You won't believe the selection.  Not like anything else you will see out there! 

I didn't see Mary Beth in the wig but I can understand why some may think they look fake the way I have seen them styled (or not styled) on QVC.      

Honored Contributor

@jubilant  your lace wig is sensational!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow @Caaareful Shopper

I'm glad you like the wig!  It's called Crowd Pleaser.  It normally runs around $280 give or take a few dollars. I got such a great deal on this one.  Mine is that same color.  In real life the golden tones you see in the highlights are little more ashy.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would never wear a wig unless I had to.   I feel for those of you who are having thinning hair issues and must wear them.   I was forced to wear a wig when having chemo and I absolutley hated it!  Thank God it was winter as I think it would be miserable in the summertime.   For people that just wear them for the heck of it,  I don't get it, but to each his own I guess.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal

I agree.  No getting around it....they are hot in the summer! I started out wearing one just once in a while when we wanted to go out and I needed a quick fix.  Now, if I don't want to show bald spots, I have to.

For summer if you are going to be out in the sun there are cotton baseball hats with hair attached to them but none on the top.  It is an option if you are going to be in the sun. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Cardani Short Baseball Cap with Detachable Hair | Hats with Hair
Cardani Short Baseball Cap with Detachable Hair | Hats with Hair

The hair is attached to velcro on the hat so can be removed to attach to other hats. That way you don't have hair making you hot under the cap.  Maybe not ideal but it's an option.
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandmawrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

@Annabellethecat66 How do you clean yours? Also I was getting my hair colored at Super cuts today and a lady came in with a wig and wanted it trimmed/cut but they would not. 

When I was wearing a wig while looking for a new stylist my experience was that no hair salon would trim my wig.  The reason they gave was that should they make a mistake or be accused of ruining the wig it could result in a law suit.  I guess in their eyes they are right and even though I was willing to sign a disclaimer they still would not do it. I was no longer living anywhere near the shop I bought the wig and once I stopped at a wig shop and asked if they could trim it and was told it would cost $45.00 to which I said no thank you.

@Lindsays Grandma     you reminded me of something that I overheard many years ago. At that time I frequented one beauty supply shop. Once I was watching a stylist working with a "topper" hairpiece; it was a small piece this woman had purchased because her hair was thinning at the crown. Another woman inquired about the piece for the same reason. The stylist who was also the owner of the shop told her it was actually a wig which she had customized for this particular long-time customer because of her issue. She said it was not something she would ordinarily do but because this lady was also a friend, she had made an exception. She explained that once she had cut a wig to someone's specifications and picture. The woman seemed pleased but a couple of weeks later, she came in and accused the stylist of ruining her wig. The stylist offered to either replace the wig or give her the money rather than going to small claims court as the customer wanted. From that point on, she had the policy of "not even touching someone else's wig".

That was an eye opener for me but I do understand why most are reluctant to work with wigs. If someone cuts your bangs too short or the color is off, eventually that can be resolved but with a wig there may be no recourse. Society is a lot more litigious now so it's a risk I probably wouldn't take either.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

I saw her earlier too and if that was a wig, she ought to go make another selection.  Its rare to see her with messy hair but today was her day. (It wasn't a wig)

Maybe Mary Beth wasn't feeling well and took a quick nap. She may have been working more hours than normal .They do, I often heard  David say that to the older Kitchen-Aid Lady.