Honored Contributor

Re: My friend just asked me

[ Edited ]

I think the problem with roots is they make them too dark for a lot of us.  I just saw a wig where the roots were more of a #12..... which, to me, looks better than a  #4, #6, or #8.  It is really just personal preference. 

In my experience, the rooted  wigs do hide some of the "fuzziness" in the part better than an all lighter hair wigs.  If I get one that is light gray or white on the top or a lighter blonde, I do go with a darker root or else get  a    monofilament top.  Their parts don't get fuzzy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilantwrote:

@Leiloni

The woman in the pictures I posted is not me, Leiloni.  See post message #12.  This is a picture I posted  of  a wig from a wig website . This woman posts a lot of pictures on cysterwigs of  all her different styles of wigs.  The wig she has on happens to be like my wig.  I wouldn't mind looking like her, however!  Ha!

Yes, this lady is striking!!  I appreciate all the women on that site who post. It gives the rest of us so many great ideas!  

@jubilant I am so sorry, it's just the wig model looks so relaxed, like a friend. I am extremely embarrassed! Woman Embarassed  Well, your wig is very nice & I bet you look just as stunning as she!Woman Happy BTW, my mother did bring me up with impeccable manners, but I don't think she'd be very happy with my assumption, LOL! Thank you for correcting me in such a polite manner, I really appreciate it more than you'll know.Heart

Honored Contributor

@Leiloni

Don't be embarassed, Leiloni.  I think we have all done this a time or two! I don't think the "jab" post was meant for you.  I think it was meant for me.  Regardless of who it was for, I think your mom did a terrific job!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

@Leiloni

Don't be embarassed, Leiloni.  I think we have all done this a time or two! I don't think the "jab" post was meant for you.  I think it was meant for me.  Regardless of who it was for, I think your mom did a terrific job!

AWW Thank You, @jubilant! And, I know your mom did an excellent job with you, it shows! Have a beautiful day.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

Here's the one I buy all of the time.  I pull the front to the side and have bangs and pull the hair behind my ears.  It's pretty much this color and I like it because it doesn't have those long black roots.

@Annabellethecat66  Love this style!   Who is it by?  

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

Toni Brattin- classic bob

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never figured out why some folks are so upset to find someone wearing a wig.

I like to change it up and frequently wear hairpieces - and yes, even wigs.  The funny thing is people usually don't know it's a wig (I mostly wear short ones and same color as my own hair) and they will complement me.  If I just say "Thanks" it's all good, but if I say it's a wig, they act like I have tried to perpetrate some sort of fraud on them or something.

They also ask how I got my hair to "do that" when I wear a hairpiece - and when I say it's a hairpiece - same upset reaction. I've even had someone tell me - but that's "cheating."

For those who object to finding out someone is wearing a wig - just what is the issue? (And don't tell me it's because they look "fake" because that's not my experience - as outlined above.")  And as to the "fake/looking bad" explanation - people don't get nearly as upset when someone wears an unflattering color or even clothes that don't fit well.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

I have never figured out why some folks are so upset to find someone wearing a wig.

I like to change it up and frequently wear hairpieces - and yes, even wigs.  The funny thing is people usually don't know it's a wig (I mostly wear short ones and same color as my own hair) and they will complement me.  If I just say "Thanks" it's all good, but if I say it's a wig, they act like I have tried to perpetrate some sort of fraud on them or something.

They also ask how I got my hair to "do that" when I wear a hairpiece - and when I say it's a hairpiece - same upset reaction. I've even had someone tell me - but that's "cheating."

For those who object to finding out someone is wearing a wig - just what is the issue? (And don't tell me it's because they look "fake" because that's not my experience - as outlined above.")  And as to the "fake/looking bad" explanation - people don't get nearly as upset when someone wears an unflattering color or even clothes that don't fit well.

Now that's just crazy reasoning LOL!  Your cheating?? nuts....but you are right many people just don't realize that many people we see in magazines and on the red carpet are doing or using all kinds of things to enhance their hair or makeup and so on. 

I have always been tempted to try out a wig for the convenience of it.  I have frizzy curly hair that takes alot of effort/time to tame and style each day.  And I would love to know what I would look like with a different color or style that my hair natural no matter what I did to it would NEVER look like.  

Personally I love when people share their secrets to looking awesome....I need all the help and ideas I can get!

Respected Contributor

I did get a red wig once - and I liked it, but DH hated it.  He likes the others though.

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

For those who think wigs look fake.  I own this one.  This is a picture of an everyday woman who wears wigs.  It has a lace top which looks exactly like your hair is growing out of your head.  This one happens to be a Raquel Welch.  Other wigs I consider quality wigs are Noriko, Rene of Paris, Amore, Jon Renau, Envy and Gabor.  These are the brands that I know about and have held up for me.  I have worn wigs for many years.  If I don't tell people, they don't know

I used to sell them and I can tell you, wigs have come a very long way.  I bought this one at 35% off with free S&H.  I don't color my hair and I only get it trimmed 3 times a year or do it myself.  I feel I actually save money on my hair.  This wig cost me a total of $159.00.  It will last me around 2 or 3 yrs.  You have to learn how to work with them. This woman obviously knows her stuff!

@jubilant- well this lady looks beautiful. The hair of the wig truly looks like it's growing out of her scalp. Is this natural human hair? It sure looks like it! Very beautiful.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett