Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's just announced another 100 stores will be closed

I knew I'd be taking a couple extended vacations this summer so I shopped online during a Macys sale. I was incredibly disappointed in the quality and most went back. They're simply off my list of places to shop along with Bon-Ton.
Honored Contributor

Didn't we have to bail out Macy's once before?

They were going bankrupt years ago and they were bailed out?

Honored Contributor

Macy Lines Up $162.6 Million in Bailout Funds : Retailing: The fresh cash from some top shareholders will let it trim debt and, some analysts say, avoid filing for bankruptcy.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking Macy's had to have had a hand in their own downfall, the qualification for a true Greek tragedy.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't shopped in Macy's in years. The quality went downhill and the stores never seemed clean. And, yes, I think years ago they were claiming bankruptcy. 

Regular Contributor

Yes, the world is changing ;sometimes for the better and sometimes not. Everyone has their opinion as to why they like or dislike Macy's. I admit that I have been purchasing most of my clothes from QVC but I also do shopping at Macy's and JCPenney. I enjoy getting out of the house and walking the mall to see  what's new.  I think if we all stay in and do online shopping we have lost  that human connection  no socialization not to mention the effect  this will have on the economy.  Maybe a number of the employees have lost their previous jobs and this part time is all they can find. I feel for them.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Aside from the large downtown store, we have two Macy's at shopping malls in this area.  They haven't been busy in years except for their big sales.  The few times I've checked those sales just to see what they have, the stores have been a mess and service was hard to find.

I don't know what they would need to do to fix it but they sure haven't tried.

Someone mentioned Nordstorms, they continue to be clean and have good service.  Maybe Macy's should take a page from their book.

I've been in that city block size Macy's in the city!    That was some kind of store.  It's been a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Many of the stores closing and having trouble have treated their employees poorly, I can't be sure, but from what I've heard, that includes Macy's.

Most of their employee jobs are part time so they don't have to pay benefits.  The hours can change daily, no real schedule and employees may not know until the day before when they will be called in.  That makes it difficult to do much of anything, like schedule a doctor appt.

Then there's the issue of making them work Thanksgiving and some on Christmas.

IMO the stores shot themselves in the foot.

I was told that in my state it's mandatory for employers to give at least 7 days notice of scheduled hours.  One employer I work for gives 14 days, the first one is set, the second one is scheduled to change.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Many of the stores closing and having trouble have treated their employees poorly, I can't be sure, but from what I've heard, that includes Macy's.

Most of their employee jobs are part time so they don't have to pay benefits.  The hours can change daily, no real schedule and employees may not know until the day before when they will be called in.  That makes it difficult to do much of anything, like schedule a doctor appt.

I was told that in my state it's mandatory for employers to give at least 7 days notice of scheduled hours.  One employer I work for gives 14 days, the first one is set, the second one is scheduled to change.

@SydneyH

California is trying to get a similar law, it hasn't been the case.

My daughter worked at a high end kitchen store in between grad school and full time work and there often was no advance notice.

Also, often workers were scheduled to work late at night setting up new items until 2 am and then scheduled to be back at work by 7am.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@SydneyH

California is trying to get a similar law, it hasn't been the case.

My daughter worked at a high end kitchen store in between grad school and full time work and there often was no advance notice.

Also, often workers were scheduled to work late at night setting up new items until 2 am and then scheduled to be back at work by 7am.

Back to backs are also discouraged but are allowed with the employee's consent, I think, not sure.............