Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's just announced another 100 stores will be closed

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so if I repeat something, please forgive me.

I've been to Macy's stores all over the country and can't believe that some stores carry the same name.  Unkempt, dirty, poor quality merchandise, surly salespeople, poor lighting, etc.  The inconsistencies are way over the top. 

The NYC flagship store is awesome and I LOVE their web site.  Shipping is fast and sales are plentiful.

@MyGirlsMom

I couldn't agree more about Macy's......we have 7 malls here and Macy's is in 5 of them....All of the Macy's BUT 1 is dirty and an absolute mess---clothes thrown everywhere....dressing rooms are dirty, stores poorly organized there is no distinction from petites versus plus versus regular sized clothes.....you spend a lot of time just trying to determine where your size clothing is located in a practicular brand...it's horrible.....Their Jewelry Department is crammed in a small spot near the escalator and poorly displayed......The only part of the store that's decent is their kitchen & kitchen appliances and some china!!! 

And all of the malls where Macy's are located, with the exception of one, are in nice malls, in nice parts of town...and 2 of these malls are very upscale.  All the other stores are neat and clean merchandise well organized .....  even struggling Sears is cleaner....

I hate to go to Macy's at the mall--if I order it's online!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think the trend in my city is towards Shopping Centers rather than malls.....there's one center that that's really "hopping" it's like a small city, stores are packed and people are buying....you'd think it was the week before Christmas.....Target, TJ's/Home Goods, JCP Kirklands, World Market, DSW, Hobby Lobby, Michael's Pets Mart, Best Buy, 2 furniture stores, a consignment shop, 2 atheltic stores, specialty shops for jewelry/clothes, numerous restaurants (from swanky to fast food), fancy movie theater, Bass Pro Shop, Nordstrom Rack, and even a Dollar Store and Sally's Beauty Supply, Lowes...... the place is huge.....The only places I've seen have slow days is JCP,Staples, and the furniture stores.......But I think they may be killing the golden goose because shockingly they are now building luxury apartments smack in the middle of the place.....and traffic congestion from the combined shoppers and residents may just do them in.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

But as well as the online shopping scene may be doing.....no one has mentioned the dependency they have on the companies that deliver their merchandise....Remember the fiasco at Christmas where UPS and USPS and Fed Ex could not meet the demand during the busy holiday season and many gifts did not arrive on time for Christmas...  Online shopping is great, but to be reliable, people better learn to order EARLY if they want their order to arrive by Christmas!!! 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3373771/FedEx-thousands-parents-naughty-lists-admitting-won-...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/25/22047875-ups-fedex-draw-fire-after-christmas-delivery-pro...

http://www.wallstreetdaily.com/2014/11/26/amazon-ups-usps/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/amazon-ups-offer-refunds-for-christmas-delivery-prob...

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:
Macy Lines Up $162.6 Million in Bailout Funds : Retailing: The fresh cash from some top shareholders will let it trim debt and, some analysts say, avoid filing for bankruptcy.

@Noel7

Also Federated Department Stores which owned Macy's & Bloomingdales, merged with the May Co owners of Lord & Taylor, Marshall Fields, and Foleys in 2005 too... I know Foleys was struggling too....

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Farewell-to-Foley-s-as-name-changes-to-Macy-s-1929005.php

Esteemed Contributor

I have 4 Macy's near me.  Two Macy's are in the same mall.  Why two Macy's in the same mall?   The next closest Macy's are about 20 miles  further away and in two malls literally across the street from each other.  I hate shopping in any of them and seldom go in.  The stores are a jumbled mess of merchandise.  Racks so jammed with clothes that you cannot even move the hangers to look at a item. Lots of clothing laying on the floor under the racks.  The dressing rooms are horrific, filthy, torn carpet, doors falling off their hinges, hooks hanging loose from the walls if there are any hooks.  Left over clothing thrown on the floors.  Now should you actually find something you want to purchase in this chaos you will now go on a unending trek through the store to find a open register that has someone who can ring up your purchase.  Don 't even think about asking them about the merchandise.  They will look at you like you have two heads because all they have been trained to do is ring a cash register.  Don't expect them to be able to answer questions about anything.    After enduring a Macy's experience I run as fast as possible to Nordstroms.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The flagship store at Herald Square, NYC, Manhattan is a pleasure to shop in, saleshelp actually help you instead of pointing to 2/3's of the store saying, "It's over there."

One local Macy's near me needs a make over from their fitting rooms where the lighting and the doors are not cooperative to the tired displays and the salesclerks who only seem to be at the registers and not on the selling floor. The usual line told if you ask for a specific size or color of something is "all of the stock is out on the floor."

Yet, if I visit another Macy's the experience is very different. I was told that different Macy's carry different stock dependent on what sells best in each store. That is why some stores sell Petite clothing and some do not to give an example.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The flagship store at Herald Square, NYC, Manhattan is a pleasure to shop in, saleshelp actually help you instead of pointing to 2/3's of the store saying, "It's over there."

One local Macy's near me needs a make over from their fitting rooms where the lighting and the doors are not cooperative to the tired displays and the salesclerks who only seem to be at the registers and not on the selling floor. The usual line told if you ask for a specific size or color of something is "all of the stock is out on the floor."

Yet, if I visit another Macy's the experience is very different. I was told that different Macy's carry different stock dependent on what sells best in each store. That is why some stores sell Petite clothing and some do not to give an example.

@JustJazzmom

I don't know if this is true of Macy's but a relative that was a Department Store Manager for a different store, said all their stores were sent specific stock, and then it was up to the Manager of the clothing department, they could add to their inventory by purchasing from independent manufacturers hence the difference in what stores have to offer....she said some were too lazy to do this....but she claimed that's why her store was tops in sales....she took the time and it was a lot of work.....