Trusted Contributor

Re: Macy's just announced another 100 stores will be closed

I wonder how much the economy has to do with their decision. MO 

I've also seen online retailers with sales quite often.

It sounds like sales are not robust. MO

Info. from business channels suggest slow growth and inflated stock market.

Respected Contributor

I love Macys, but I mostly just order online, as the store closest to me doesn't always carry the range in colors, sizes, styles, etc. 

Plus, it's chaotic most of the time.

I think I read in the article that they are going to be focusing a lot more on their online commerce, as that's where their increases have been.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Macy's has had really good Christmas sales online for the past couple of years.  It's a good time to get household items and items for seasonal entertaining.

Honored Contributor

Macy's is where I buy my Fiestaware when there's a good sale.  I have been disappointed in how the dishes were packed when I ordered online.

Honored Contributor

Gosh, I remember when Macy's had special one-day sales...once in a Blue Moon.   Now it's a commercial on a continuous loop.  

"Macy's! ONE. DAY. SALE!!" 

Whenever I see a retailer w/ tons of coupons or even on those cash back sites....it's never a healthy sign.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Macy's is where I buy my Fiestaware when there's a good sale.  I have been disappointed in how the dishes were packed when I ordered online.

@tansy

Around the holidays Kohl's has a good sale on Fiestaware.  If you have their credit card they will also send you a coupon for up to 30% off on top of that.  Depending on how much you spend, you may also qualify for free shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so if I repeat something, please forgive me.

I've been to Macy's stores all over the country and can't believe that some stores carry the same name.  Unkempt, dirty, poor quality merchandise, surly salespeople, poor lighting, etc.  The inconsistencies are way over the top. 

The NYC flagship store is awesome and I LOVE their web site.  Shipping is fast and sales are plentiful.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

As I have traveled around and visited many Macy,s, I have noticed some are just depressed.  Many are old.  The buildings haven't been modernized in years, and the merchandise varies store to store.  Demographics I guess.

Many of these stores have just been struggling for years.  The sad part is many of these communities need these stores.  they depend on Macy's to be there.  It is sad. They also needed to stop the complicated coupons, and the credit card only discounts for another straight forward discount.  I hate it when I would go there and the person in front of me gets a discount for the same item and I don't as I ran in there as a spur of the moment thing, and didn't have a coupon.  Some of their layering coupon, and endless list of exclusions should be illegal! Lol.

I grew up with Macy's. I was excited to buy clothes there as it was so special to me.  Hey, it beat Penny's!  Hahah. What a wonderful store it was in the day, especially at Christmas.  The Macy's in San Francisco is still a feast for the eyes, but the one where I live is a depressed dump.  And it is in a nice mall.

ideally, I would hope that they could consolidate, reorganize, revamp their stores ...maybe that's would help.  But the retail market is changing.  It is the internet now, and it is hard to keep stores open, when many prefer to use the online store.  Jmho

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'For the longest time', their weekly newspaper ads contained a conglomeration (spelling?) of fragrances samples which, in total, smelled like old fashioned fly spray.  Everyone (we knew) on my block had to 'dump' their M*cy's advertisements into the trash, along with the cupons and as that were placed/assembled along side of them.  Well, it did keep the critters away from the trash container!  Racoons, etc.  (Some of us had to use gloves, so our hands wouldn't retain the strong odor.)   p.s.:  I might add that M*cys, at one point (maybe a year or so ago, more or less) quit including those strong samples in our weekly ads, so at least we have been able to take a look at them. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so if I repeat something, please forgive me.

I've been to Macy's stores all over the country and can't believe that some stores carry the same name.  Unkempt, dirty, poor quality merchandise, surly salespeople, poor lighting, etc.  The inconsistencies are way over the top. 

The NYC flagship store is awesome and I LOVE their web site.  Shipping is fast and sales are plentiful.

That sounds just like the Macy's in a mall I go to sometimes.  I do not get it, it's as if they don't have a clue about how to present the store.