Esteemed Contributor

Macy's just announced another 100 stores will be closed

that represents 15%'of their locations.  No,details as to what stores yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy's just announced another 100 stores will be closed

@KathyPet wrote:

that represents 15%'of their locations.  No,details as to what stores yet.

Hopefully not......i LOVE Macy's...and order/buy from then regularly.....and they carry new and fresh products throughout the year.....

Super Contributor

We had two in our town & they closed one already! Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this as well.  It is true.  I heard they are going to concentrate more with online shopping.  There goes more jobs!   The internet has really hurt us. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

I saw this as well.  It is true.  I heard they are going to concentrate more with online shopping.  There goes more jobs!   The internet has really hurt us. 

Has it? My husband is gainly employed because of the Internet.   My son will be, too, when he graduates.  The problem with Macy's is their snotty service and awful products where I live in the South.  When I lived in CA they had beautiful things, but horrible service.  They will never be Nordstrom.  Also, my feeling is why do we have to have 4 Macy's in a 15 mile radius where I live? Our Targets aren't ever busy either.  Too many of them.  Sears is the same way,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually order online from them because I hate going to the mall.  You can also get better discounts and I use my rebate thing too so it's a lot cheaper than driving up there and putting up with the crowds.  Good for them to notice how their customers are shopping now.

Respected Contributor

A couple years ago, I noticed that I was spending less time and money Macy's.

Last year when they introduce "Plenti"  and created "Backstage" which reduced further discounts on clearance items, I thought more downsizing was in the wings.  

Today, they changed their normal coupons in the daily paper. And now, the post about closing 100 more stores.

No surprise.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@Qgirl2  In my opinion the internet has taken away a lot of jobs.  I started out in retail at the age of 16.  If you lost a job , there was always job openings in retail.  These young kids can't find jobs.  So in my opinion yes, it has hurt the younger generation. THere was always part time jobs for Christmas help.  Not anymore. 

Honored Contributor

In a sign of how dramatically the retail shopping landscape is changing, Macy's is closing 100 of its stores nationwide.

The Macy's move is the latest in a wave of store closures amid the rise and success of Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) and other online shopping options.

CNN Money News

Honored Contributor

Aside from the large downtown store, we have two Macy's at shopping malls in this area.  They haven't been busy in years except for their big sales.  The few times I've checked those sales just to see what they have, the stores have been a mess and service was hard to find.

I don't know what they would need to do to fix it but they sure haven't tried.

Someone mentioned Nordstorms, they continue to be clean and have good service.  Maybe Macy's should take a page from their book.