Honored Contributor

Re: Do you enjoy exercising?

@dex 

I used to think that too, that I hadn't found the right fitness center or the right machines or the right classes or I wasn't going at the right times.  All I did was waste a whole lot plans and make myself feel bad.  The fact is that that everyone is different and while some people love working out and they make it a part of the life.  There are others who simply don't like it, we get no enjoyment or satisfaction out of it and that doesn't change over time.  Yes indeed, moving our modies and being active is important for good health and for our emotional well being but we have to find the thing that works for us.  For me it's walking and that works for 3/4 of the year.  I still have figure out what I am going to to in Dec/Jan/Feb.  Something indoors that I will actually do 4 or 5 days a week.  

Trusted Contributor

I love going on very long walks in cold weather. Love knowing I'm doing something good for myself/body and mind.   I try to walk five days a week.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex 

I wish I had found a group like you have.

However, after 5 years of going to the same gym, I realized that, despite the fact I had often reached out to others, I really didn't get anything in return.

I would come early, or stay later and try to mix in, but I often felt ignored.  Maybe I could have done more, but short of being a pest, I didn't know what that would be.

Mostly, it was younger woman with kids (I'm older without any) and no one really seemed to want to have a friend with so little in common.  I understand.

They were nice woman, but I just didn't fit in.

Ultimately, it was just easier to do my own thing and not worry about making friends.

Again, you were/are lucky to have found a group that you feel part of.

Honored Contributor

No and I wish I did.  Even when I was young and skinny I never enjoyed it, but I did it.

I finally figured out why I get upset when people tell me I don't look 73.

It's because (while I took care of my face) I didn't take care of my body.

There are so many things I remember from when I went to Weight Watchers.  That was the best program I ever went to.  You name it, I did it over the years and I always lost weight but didn't keep it off.

But Weight Watchers said, "Walk around with a 5 lb bag of potatoes, now multiply that by how overweight you are...It really puts it into perspective.

They said, "Just make little changes here and there".

So many things makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler  I really enjoy exercising, but not at home.  For many years, I did Jackie Sorenson's Aerobic Dancing, and I also walked my dogs several times a day.  Now, I really like lifting weights, trx, and flipping tires.  I never thought that I would like any of this.  It can become addictive.  I also do zumba and cardio dance, but weights are at the top of my list.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

exercise.jpg

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes and no. I have stiff joints and to stay mobile l workout 3X per week. I do cardio, lift weights and ride a bike. 

Honored Contributor

I love it. I do not enjoy treadmills, so boring.  Because of my back/spine issues I cannot ride my own real bike anymore, and have trouble with the bike machine.  But I love weight lifting and the machines.  I love the rope pull, row and all the arm exercises. Although I have serious issues with back I feel the exercise I do has kept me strong and able to walk.  I go to gm 3-4 times a week idealy.  When I am having a flare up, I go atleast twice

i will say I do not see one thing fun about running, jogging or the treadmill.  I die of boredom on treadmill. But I do it slow for 15 mins before workout.  Keeps the legs from slapping together, lol

Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

@dex wrote:

@qvcaddition @You are my role model.I am 65 and love to stay in shape but wondered for how many more years I would be able.I can see that you work much harder than me and I will definitely have to up my game.I am so happy I read your inspiring post.

Thank you.

I need to give you for more inspiration.  My 94 yr young friend of 60 years, our oldest sons were playmates for years. She and I joined the gym together years ago, at least 53 + Years when they first came to our town  and then when we moved to Sonoma County 43 years ago.  Yes they had this then for women , but they were called Spas.

The instructors wore tights heels and fishnet stockings and we wanted to look like them, perfect figures and gorgous.  They  had all The exercise equipment for every part of your body.  They weighed and measured you once a month.  All for $20 dollars a month. We had a sauna and swimming pool and went in it nude.  

Well, my friend at 94, still goes to the gym,  coed now, swims a few laps and does weight training.  She lives in a farm in Sonoma County and still does most of her own work.  No more tracter, but the gardens and cleans her own pool.  This is to me how continuous exercise helps when you get elderly.  Started out exercising to have a nice figure, but got many benefits in my late years, and also her.

So, Whatnow,, please continue as long as you are able.  Good for you.  Just do what you can, but challenge yourself a little once in awhile if you can.  I am putting together a program for the Seniors that have never exercised and am very excited.  Today I was told I have a two hour test for certification.  Keep it up, you are never too old, don,t tell yourself that, too many people try to make you feel that way.  You know what you can or can,t do.

In 2008 when I was 72, I graduated from college.  I got a scholarship and was valedictorian.  I was happy to inspire two women in their 50,s that thought they were too old to go to college.  My speech was, "NO AGE LIMIT".  ENJOY LIFE.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty 

@shoekitty wrote:

I love it. I do not enjoy treadmills, so boring.  Because of my back/spine issues I cannot ride my own real bike anymore, and have trouble with the bike machine.  But I love weight lifting and the machines.  I love the rope pull, row and all the arm exercises. Although I have serious issues with back I feel the exercise I do has kept me strong and able to walk.  I go to gm 3-4 times a week idealy.  When I am having a flare up, I go atleast twice

i will say I do not see one thing fun about running, jogging or the treadmill.  I die of boredom on treadmill. But I do it slow for 15 mins before workout.  Keeps the legs from slapping together, lol

I take my iPad to the gym when I do the treadmill and watch a movie on prime or read on it.  Makes the hour go faster.  When I do it at home, I do the same or watch the news for the hour.  Otherwise, it,s boring.