Honored Contributor

It's 4 am....I have been awake for about 2 hours.  Tomorrow will be a long day! Not sure why I can't sleep but I seem to go in spurts.  Usually if I am awake at midnight I take something to help me sleep, but tonight I didn't wake up until after 2:00 so it's to late/early to take anything.  I'd be really groggy in the morning.

DH and the dog are fast asleep. My husband could sleep thru anything!

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   You are not alone!

Honored Contributor

Welcome to my world!  This is an almost nightly occurrence with me!  I wake up constantly throughout the night.  Some nights I am able to go back to sleep for a bit -- others --- not at all.  I was up at about 3:00 this morning.  I have spoken to my doctor about it many times and she is not much help.  She says this is a common problem among her senior patients.  Really??  Well, that is really helpful.  The only thing she offered was some type of pill which is kind of a pain pill (I have various pain issues) which is supposed to help with sleep a bit as well.  I declined as it has so many side affects, etc.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't sleep, ugh.

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 @Mom2Dogs @pdxlalesley 

My mom has insomnia most of her life - she takes 1/2 a pill only bc she thinks that is better than a whole pill. She wakes up after 3 hrs - toss and turn until morning. She doesn't take naps but may nod off watching the TV. She is 91

I go through spurts where I may wake up 2 am -go to the BR and stay awake for 2 hrs or into the morning. I don't take naps, I can function through the day and a good sleep to me is 6 hrs - I never sleep 8 hrs 

I've been trying intermittent fasting where you feast for a portion of the day and the rest is fasting. I stop eating at 6pm and weirdly I have been sleeping better. Yes it is 5:30am but I have been asleep since 10pm and am drinking coffee now. I was prone to late night snacking after eating dinner. Perhaps the body isn't processing the food and is resting? I don't know, but I've been doing it for a little over a month and I haven't gone through the nightly dance being awake 2-4am

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 @Mom2Dogs @pdxlalesley 

My mom has insomnia most of her life - she takes 1/2 a pill only bc she thinks that is better than a whole pill. She wakes up after 3 hrs - toss and turn until morning. She doesn't take naps but may nod off watching the TV. She is 91

I go through spurts where I may wake up 2 am -go to the BR and stay awake for 2 hrs or into the morning. I don't take naps, I can function through the day and a good sleep to me is 6 hrs - I never sleep 8 hrs 

I've been trying intermittent fasting where you feast for a portion of the day and the rest is fasting. I stop eating at 6pm and weirdly I have been sleeping better. Yes it is 5:30am but I have been asleep since 10pm and am drinking coffee now. I was prone to late night snacking after eating dinner. Perhaps the body isn't processing the food and is resting? I don't know, but I've been doing it for a little over a month and I haven't gone through the nightly dance being awake 2-4am

@Yahooey 

I am glad this seems to be working better for you.  I have taken to eating a bite shortly before bed.  But this issue has been going on with me for a long time and before I was eating anything at all.  I generally eat my last meal of the day at about 4:30.  I don't know what the problem is but my husband has the same problem.  It IS frustrating.  He does take a nap during the day, I do not.  But I have nodded off watching t.v. for a few moments.  Beats me -- wish I did have the solution!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I'm so sorry - thought the not eating may help

I wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving

Honored Contributor

I never fell back to sleep....dh will be up in about 15 minutes so I will get the coffee started at 6 am.  Like clockwork we are in bed at 10 pm and generally up at 6.  We are still working, today I am off.  I am helping a friend do some things at her house today.  Once I am up and moving I'll be fine.  I don't nap either so I will just go about my day and go to bed at 10 tonight, and hope I sleep better.

Valued Contributor

For me it was menopause. Once that hit the good night's sleep went out the window. 

I'm able to remote into work from home so I usually log in, start generating reports, log into here and read while waiting on reports...and then work some. Until it's time to get ready and actually leave for work. 

I tried melatonin (sp?) at my doctor's suggestion, but it's only good for about two hours sleep for me. I've also tried eating/not eating, cutting caffeine, etc. When I get really desparate for some steady sleep, I take Benadryl. It knocks me out every single time, I just don't think it's a good idea to take it daily.

The upside is I am super productive work wise. In fact menopause probably played a part in my last promotion. Smiley Embarassed

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

Pretty much happensto me nightly. It's always a struggle getting back to sleep after that first bathroom break. I'm usually up about 3 times a night. I don't drink anything after about 4 p.m. Sometimes it's like in a semi sleep. It's been this way for years.

Trusted Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

@Mom2Dogs   You are not alone!

Ever since starting thyroid medication, sleep, as I once knew it, is now just a memory. I wake up a couple times times during the night, and am lucky to get 5 hours of sleep total - no naps during the day either. Seeing my endocrinologist this morning, but, so far, my medication is correct. It's just awful. I can remember having to use the alarm on the clock, but it's not necessary now. 😞

F/N/A luvstogarden