Trusted Contributor

Re: A 48.5 Million dollar Bill for the Royal Wedding.....

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wondered if guests took gifts to the reception, or reciprocated in some way.

The couple specified no gifts but donations made to their charities.

Yes, Donations to charities were specified and I’m sure many will be made.  

However, they  also had a Wedding Registry at the exclusive members club

Soho House. The global membership director is Meghan’s friend and Meghan had been a “Brand Ambassador” for the club. 

Honored Contributor

I've read $42 million and $43 million.  However much it was, that's an astounding figure.  We waste so much money in the US though.  As others have said, that wedding brought a ton of tourism to the UK.  It was a beautiful wedding.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Do the bride & groom "know" these people like George Clooney, Oprah, Serena Williams,the Beckhams,Carey Mulligan, Tom Hardy & others.  Are these people their friends through the charity work they participate In?

It would be interesting to know if these guests actually did make a charitable donation instead of giving a gift.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I guess the taxpayers don't mind the cost, as the funds ultimately come from them.

Esteemed Contributor

Considering that it is estimated over $40 million of the cost was for security.  Maybe if we all start working on it now by the time George, Charlotte or Louis marry that much security won't be needed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

That wedding brought billions of tourism dollars to the country.  Criticizing this is like criticizing someone for buying a $3 Power Ball ticket which won them $500 million dollars.  Yep, they’ll never see that $3 again.  Poor suckers.

@TenderMercies

LOL!   Billions?   How'd you ever arrive at that estimate?   Just how many tourists do you think made the trip for this wedding? 

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

But then the florist, security, bakers etc get paid and then they go out and spend and on and on. 

I would’ve baked a cake for nothing🙂

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

That wedding brought billions of tourism dollars to the country.  Criticizing this is like criticizing someone for buying a $3 Power Ball ticket which won them $500 million dollars.  Yep, they’ll never see that $3 again.  Poor suckers.

@TenderMercies

LOL!   Billions?   How'd you arrive at that estimate? 

@Tinkrbl44 LOL, well maybe not billions, but certainly enough to pay for it and bring a lot of wealth to the country.  I have a coworker who took her 8 year old biracial daughter to the wedding.  They are staying in London for a week.  Considering their flight on British Airways, hotels, food and merchandise they'll buy, they will probably pay 5K for the trip.  That's just two people.  I read an article HERE stating that the wedding bring in $680 million US dollars into the British economoy.  Considering it's being reported that the wedding is costing around $48 million, I'd say it's worth it for the country to do it.  If someone said, "Give me 48 dollars out of your wallet, and I'll hand you back 680 dollars," I would think that's a good deal.

Valued Contributor

Well, if they ever run short, they can borrow from G. Clooney who, for Christmas, gave each of his best friends $1,000,000 packed in small briefcases or suitcases, whichever would hold $1 milion dollars.  And, he paid the taxes on each gift beforehand. 

What a BFF! 

Respected Contributor

The wedding brought in untold millions in tourism, not just for this event, but in spotlighting Britiain.