Respected Contributor

Re: A 48.5 Million dollar Bill for the Royal Wedding.....

[ Edited ]

It does not matter what we think they could have or should have done regarding the wedding cost, etc. vs their charitable values.  It is theirs to do with as they see fit just as any other person who has the funds to spend.  The difference is that most people make money from their day jobs and the royals are not most people.

Trusted Contributor

What about the people who earn a living by working in some capacity on the wedding, reception and general logistics?  People spending money is a good thing.  Besides, a rather large portion of British tourism is tied to the royal family so they came out way ahead.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I read that the wedding brings in far more revenue than it cost. Tourists, souvenirs, etc...it’s a big business. I think the UK economy has reaped benefits despite the fact that taxpayers are footing the bill. Besides, I’d rather that my money go toward joyous occasions than wars. Too bad we have no choice.

Britain is in those wars, too.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
$48 million on their wedding?? Very obnoxious, and an insult to all starving people and countries, imo. Lots of people get married; nothing unique about that. 😏

And the £100+ million that the wedding brought into the country?

Jobs are tied to all of this you know.

Trusted Contributor

@Liverbird1 wrote:

Yes I agree . All this talk about about charity  

.When it comes down to it it really is all about themselves . eg expensive engagement dress , wedding dress , etc .That money could feed the poor .

That money created jobs and even more tourism.  

Honored Contributor

@Liverbird1 wrote:

Yes I agree . All this talk about about charity  

.When it comes down to it it really is all about themselves . eg expensive engagement dress , wedding dress , etc .That money could feed the poor .

just 1 million dollars of the 48 million spent could do so so much! 

Honored Contributor

Maybe the guests donated to the poor and homelss.

Trusted Contributor

The 600 wedding guests were asked to donate to charities instead of giving guests.  That's kind of been reported.  Everywhere.  Seriously, do people do any research before they start typing?

Honored Contributor

giving gifts

Respected Contributor

How does anyone really know what the cost is?  This is nothing more than speculation and to be honest why is it our concern?  As others have pointed out, it has a huge impact on the economy of the country.