Honored Contributor

Re: A 48.5 Million dollar Bill for the Royal Wedding.....

Doesn't bother me. Think of what Joan Rivers spent on Melissa's wedding. It's what rich people do. This is royalty and if they asked for gifts to be given charity, they are helping a lot of people.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do I think MM & Harry would have been willing to skip an expensive wedding and elope?

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

How de we know that they didn't scale down the wedding?  Kate's dress in her wedding cost over $400,000 alone.  Perhaps Meghan and Harry did indeed have a less expensive wedding, if compared to the other royal weddings.  

It's a lot of money for sure, but for all the other things they spend money on in the British monarchy, how do we know if that's even in the top 10 in cost?  

Kate and Will's wedding was half the cost.

Honored Contributor

Guests were asked to make donations to several charities the couple endorses.
Honored Contributor

@Liverbird1 wrote:

Yes I agree . All this talk about about charity  

.When it comes down to it it really is all about themselves . eg expensive engagement dress , wedding dress , etc .That money could feed the poor .

Beware, people still insist.....it's all about the little people, yeah sure...........They could have eloped imo but I guess the public circus was important to them. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, they know some, for instance, Serena is a close friend of Meghan's.

Honored Contributor

Much is done in kind.  I heard officers donate time, as they want to be part of the celebration. Most of the funds are paid from memorabilia, and concession stands.  Much is donated as well, or done for the great advertising. The British tax payers pay a small amount.  But they want the weddings. Yes, we can say a third world country can eat for several years on the money  that is spent.  But, what fun is that? In this rat race world sometimes a Royal Wedding os just fun and heartwarming.  I for one say, SPEND IT!

After the war, when Queen Elizabeth married Prince Phillip England was still on rationing. They had one of the worst rationing situations of any nation.  They were really suffering.  All of Britain donated rationing cards and goods just to make the Queens wedding cake which was at the time the biggest ever.  tradition usually requires the wedding cake be fruitcake.  Dried fruit, eggs, sugar was donated from all over the world!!!  People donated time.  It was all given as a gift to the Queen.  She meant that much to them, and they wanted a wedding!!  

Respected Contributor

Image result for funny cat gifs

Contributor

That amount is outrageous.  I wonder what the British citizens think of this.  They can't be happy with this obnoxious amount of money spent.  I wonder why the monarchy exists anyway.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh for good grief!!!  Then why should anyone have a wedding?  Every bit of money can be used to feed the poor.  My husband and I donate a healthy portion of our income to charity as I am sure many here do.  Does this mean we should outlaw all weddings or judge people on what they spend because it can used to feed the poor?  Give me a break.  It is their money, England seems happy with the situation.  Why jump all over the Royals.  They do al lot of good.  Their whole life is spent serving the world through their nation !and   Yes, the queen gives them a small stripend for engagements, but most is done because it is who the are.  Their family wealth comes from their inherited wealth, the land that was passed from the queens father, working farms they own. I also heard William and Harry get money from their father and the late Diana yearly.  It isnt the bulk of their income though.  Prince charles makes a huge sum through his farms.  Who'd a thunk it !!! I never guessed it would be that much, or that big...but I guess it is

what about the Kardasians wedding?  i didnt see them inviting member of the public and people who have survived near death experiences.  I haven't seen Kim wandering through land mine fields, or leading games for the disabled.  But Not for one minute did I begrudge her the wedding of her dreams she paid for with her own Money.