Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

[ Edited ]

I was ready to give up on EVERYTHING I NEVER TOLD YOU by Celeste Ng but I'm glad I didn't.   It turned into a good read.

Next up is BADLANDS by C.J. Box.  This has a new-to-me main character, instead of Joe Pickett, the game warden.  

Honored Contributor

Read most of  Snow Drops by Andre Miller It takes place in Russia and is well written but I saw where it was going and didn't care enough to finish it.

Respected Contributor

Finished Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams which is the 2nd in the series about 3 sisters.  Disliked this book and remembering the 1st one wasn't that great either.  I guess I'll read the rest of the series to see how that one is.  The only good thing about this book was the beautiful cover.  LOL

Next is Ann Packer's The Children's Crusade.

Super Contributor

Finished the 953 pages Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss and may be starting The Girl In The Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz tonight. Very excited and hoping the characters of Lisbeth and Mikael continue to intrigue.

Respected Contributor

I finished Rutland Place (Anne Perry) and I liked it pretty well.  I just started reading the Thomas Pitt series recently and, so far, I still prefer William Monk, but maybe because I've read them all.  There is a new one coming out later this month, Corridors of the Night.  I hope she veers away from the subject matter of her last 3 or 4 Wm. Monk books.  They were getting to be too repetitious and dark, although I like that they heavily featured Oliver Rathbone.

Also read Thin Air, the latest in the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves.  I'm not sure why I continue to read these.  The main characters are too vaguely drawn for me to identify with any of them.  I think the villain in this book (and the motive) is almost identical with one in an earlier book.  She has a lot of characters that are would-be suspects and I found them more interesting than the main characters. But at the end they just go away and I would have liked more resolution on their plot lines.

I'm now reading Hugo and Rose (Bridget Foley).  I generally like mysteries so this is a departure for me. 

I tried to read The Sound of Glass (Karen White) but after a couple of chapters I realized it's not my kind of book.  I don't much care for family sagas with buried secrets.  

I just put The Girl in the Spider's Web on waitlist.  There are 9 people ahead of me!

Trusted Contributor

I just finished Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams and really enjoyed it.  It is the 3rd book in a series of 4.  I didn't like it quite as much as the other 2 but still a good read, imo.  I intend to read the last when it comes out.

Then next I read what I consider to be the Best Book of 2015, so far anyway and I doubt anything else will top it.  The Secret Wisdom of the Earth, the debut novel by Christopher Scotton.  Appalachia, Strip Mining and a realtionship between a man (Pops) and his grandson that you won't want to miss.  

I've read a handful of others too since my last post.  Some better than others.  I'll post a short list later...

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Trusted Contributor

@SAGirl I just read your post in last months thread about Carry Me Home which I quoted below...

"I just finished CARRY ME HOME: A NOVEL

It was a charming book - a simple story but the characters were wonderful, especially Earwig.  He is mentally challenged but wiser than all the rest. Thoroughly enjoyed this."

I liked it too.  I've read a couple others by the author, Sandra Kring, and my favorite is How How the Moon.  If you liked Carry Me Home, you owe it to yourself to get How How the Moon.
~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Occasional Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I just finished Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams and really enjoyed it.  It is the 3rd book in a series of 4.  I didn't like it quite as much as the other 2 but still a good read, imo.  I intend to read the last when it comes out.

Then next I read what I consider to be the Best Book of 2015, so far anyway and I doubt anything else will top it.  The Secret Wisdom of the Earth, the debut novel by Christopher Scotton.  Appalachia, Strip Mining and a realtionship between a man (Pops) and his grandson that you won't want to miss.  

I've read a handful of others too since my last post.  Some better than others.  I'll post a short list later...

I read THE SECRET WISDOM OF THE EARTH too and really enjoyed it!

Occasional Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

@SAGirl I just read your post in last months thread about Carry Me Home which I quoted below...

"I just finished CARRY ME HOME: A NOVEL

It was a charming book - a simple story but the characters were wonderful, especially Earwig.  He is mentally challenged but wiser than all the rest. Thoroughly enjoyed this."

I liked it too.  I've read a couple others by the author, Sandra Kring, and my favorite is How How the Moon.  If you liked Carry Me Home, you owe it to yourself to get How How the Moon.

Thank you MrsSweetieBear for the recommendation - I will check it out!  I am SAGal but had to have a new name - I don't get it but oh well!

Honored Contributor

Finished  "Kitchens of the Great Midwest" by J. Ryan Stradal.  I don't think it's worth the money to buy it but I enjoyed it.  There are a lot of characters in the book and many of them unlike anyone I've ever known, some of them not likeable, others rootable, and it reads like short stories but it all comes together in a very interesting way at the end.  And the recipes are yum.

Now I'm starting "A Man Called Ove" by Frederich Bachman, a bestseller by one of Sweden's beloved writers, translated into English.  The main character is a cranky old man, and somehow a  young family that moves next door to him changes his life.  It looks great and I'm off to tuck into it now.